Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow startup + 'Oxffbadd11 memory could not be read' message

• Please log in to reply

youngratty

youngratty

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I had (and successfully removed) malware earlier this week and had a clean machine.
Now startup takes 10 minutes then I get a message which says that 'Oxffbadd11 memory could not be read' followed by ' avgcc.exe The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006) CLick on OK to terminate this application'

I assume the second error is to do with AVG antivirus (which doesn't run when I click on it). I have no idea what the 'Oxffbadd11' error is.

Please does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for reading this :whistling:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You may not be totally clean of Malware unless you followed the instructions implicitly in the Malware Forum. Just out of curiosity, what version of Java do you have installed? Look under: C:\Program Files\Java. The only folder under that folder should be the latest version: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06 (Version 5.0 Update 11). If you need to update: Manual Download. Reason I ask is that earlier version was very subceptible to vulnerabilities in it and was actively being exploited.

Ron

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for your speedy reply Ron.

I did wonder about more malware, though I did thoroughly clean up the machine with the help of Geeks staff, so thought it was less likely. Though maybe
the error which looks as though it relates to AVG antivirus means there was some glitch in the protection?

In the Java file I have jre1.5.5_06 and jre1.5.0_10.

Is that good or bad??? :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have 3 different folders in mine, but the latest is jre1.5.0_11. You might want to update version at link in post #2. You might try uninstalling/re-installing AVG. Typically, you can remove AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition by clicking on Start -> Control Panel, then double left clicking on Add/Remove Programs. Select AVG Free Edition from the list, and select add/remove. If this fails to complete the process (IE: AVG is damaged) you can also remove it using the following method:

You can do so by re-downloading from: AVG Download

Save the file to your desktop. Once downloaded, locate "avg70free.exe" on your desktop and double left click on it. Once running, select "Uninstall" from the list of options. You can also re-reference the Grisoft AVG Free official site at http://free.grisoft.com.

You might also double check that you still have the same amount of RAM that's suppose to be installed:

1. Click on the Start button (lower left corner of the Taskbar)
2. In the menu that opens, right click on My Computer
3. In the subsequent short-cut menu, click on Properties
4. Under the General tab, you will find how much RAM the computer has and information on the processor and version of Windows used

HTHs,

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 05 April 2007 - 08:36 PM.

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks very much Ron. I managed to reinstall AVG with your instructions (yes, it was damaged and wouldn't uninstall easily) so that seems fine now.
I've scanned with AVG & Superantispyware and nothing's showing up, however the laptop's still working v-e-r-y slowly.

I'm left with one error message on startup 'svchost.exe The instruction Oxffbadd11 referrenced memory at Oxffbadd11. The memory could not be read'

Any more ideas about this one?

thanks again for your ongoing help

youngratty xx

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you check that you still have the same amount of RAM installed? Procedure in Post #4. Did you update your Java file to latest version? If none of this helps, I would go ahead and visit GTG's Malware forum and follow the Guidelines thoroughly as you may still be infected. No one program can remove all the Malware on a PC. Posting a HiJackThisLog in the Malware forum is your best bet to get you cleaned up.

Ron

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes I updated Java.
It says I have 240mb ram.
I'll go through the malware procedure like you suggest.
Thanks very much for your patience. Your help is truly appreciated
Happy Easter!

youngrattyxx

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Is 214 Mb of RAM what you had before? Seems awfully low running Win XP and your other apps. Happy Easter to you and let me know how the Malware forum comes out.

Ron

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes, 240mb ram is all this machine ever had.
It's worked fine up until this last week.
Thanks again, I'll let you know how it pans out!

young rattyxx