Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting a disk

• Please log in to reply

myasam

myasam

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I copied information onto a formatted disk using Windows 2000. Now I am using Windows 98 to access that information and when I try to access the A drive it tells me I am using an unformatted disk (which I'm not). How do I format the formatted disk and still maintain the information for access? Or what do I do to correct this situation? Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Should work, have you tried the floppy in another computer?

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
No, I did not try in another computer, but I will. If I still cannot read it in my computer, could it be a hardware problem? My dvd drive does not work either and I was told on another board that I might need a new cd reader. Could something be affecting my entire tower for reading software?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Could something be affecting my entire tower for reading software?

No, not likely. Probably just coincidence. <_<

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
In the meantime, is there a way to format a disk? If my system says the formatted disk is not formatted, can I still format?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you format it you will lose any data it contains. If there's any problem reading the disk, you'll get the message that it's not formatted.

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Okay I'll try another computer first. Thank you very much.
I see tomorrow is your 1st year birthday (you've been a member since 5/21/03). Happy birthday! Glad to have you around.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
TRUE! <_< I hadn't even noticed :D

THANKS!!!