Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Wont Start

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
ok.. ... well this isnt exactly building a comp but it is sort of upgradeing.... heres the problem.. when i got my new 1gig today. i took out a 512 from my mom's comp and put my two 256 on hers. .so now my comp has 1 gig and her's has 512mb.. Now the problem comes. When i put the 256s in.. and went to start the comp. .her comp wouldnt start.. :whistling: but one of the fans would spin for a secound.. I think it has something to do with the MOBO(like death???)... my mom is really frustrated.. help guys???????

thx in advance :blink:

P.S. i didnt do anything inside the computer. .O.o i did however move some wires around because of the slots.. abut nothing else....
P.P.S. this comp isnt one of the manufactured ones. I built it last year

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put everything back as it was and see if the problem clears up.

vladamere

vladamere

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey when you did it were you sure to wear an anti static electricity thing. If you didn't the static electricity in your body may have cooked it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I wouldn't go that far yet, the ram probably isn't compatible with one another(though it usually will blue screen), I'd do as Neil has already mentioned. Take the stick out that you placed in and see if it'll boot.
James

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Put everything back as it was and see if the problem clears up.

yeah, try putting her ram back in her computer how it was and see if it works. if it does then it probably means the new ram you tried putting in it isn't compatible with her computer.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Still nothing.... ive tried every combination of ram.. .the 1 gig i have... the 2 256s... the 2 512s and even just singles.... the light on the mobo that was on before the change doent come on anymore.. :whistling: is this because of the PS??? or the bios battery???

p.s. of course i grounded my self.. what u think?? me n00b??? no :blink:

-rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Ok :whistling: i fixed it :blink: it turns out that when i put the ram sticks in i accidently moved the cable that connects the PSU to the MOBO apart :help: stupid me :help:

thx for helping guys :)

-rocknrollcows