Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP really slow shutdowns and explorer.exe crashing

• Please log in to reply

Pat2

Pat2

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
when i go to start then "Turn off Computer" explorer.exe crashes and i'm forced to Windows Task Manager to terminate explorer.exe and shut down from their :-/
From their as it shuts down, i have to wait more than 5 minutes so that my pc could shut down. My pc used to shut down much faster but all of a sudden this is happening

HiJack Post: Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   7.27KB   123 downloads

Advertisements

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
BUMP!
:=/

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Pat2...

How many Anti-Virus programs do you have running at any given time? I see you have both AVG and McAfee showing in the HJT log...running more than one at a time may cause problems like you describe. You might also try turning the Nero Back it up utility off and try a shutdown to see if it's any faster...it may be backing up your files on shutdown.

wannabe1

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
sorry for the slow reply,
i uninstalled mcafee but still no change
im not sure on how to change nero backup utility

explorer.exe crashes exactly after i go to Start ---> Turn off computer. when i wait like 5 minutes the small "Shut down, Stand-by, Hibernate" windows pops-up with the background suddenly black and white.and explorer.exe starts working again

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
anyone ?