Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problem

• Please log in to reply

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Guys & Gals

I've just reformatted a Dell Dimension 4500 after it died a very sad death!!

since reformat I loaded all the necessary drivers from the installation disc but the sound is still not workingI have done all the windows updates including SP2 and IE7

Device manager has yellow question mark and follwoing message

"multimedia audio controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01321028&REV_01\3&267A616A&0&FD
This device is not configured correctly"

I downloaded the Dell Harman/Kardon & Intel drivers without any success

any ideas?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
download Everest (use a link in my signature) Install and run it. Go to Multimedia > pci/pnp audio. Please report the details of the audio device.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Sence your computer is a dell.

From dells website you can get your current system configuration.

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for replying Skeptic & Tuxmaster

I had everest already (I'd tried it before to get info) so it was easy to get the info on sound device as requested

Device Description Type
Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1] PCI

and the Dell info for tuxmaster, however I am now in Australia not Europe. (not that that makes any differenvce!)

also I am accessing internet via Netgear Router, no printers or scanners are connected at present.

System Summary

Service Tag: 48DDJ0J
System Type: Dimension 4500
Ship Date: 10/10/2002
Dell IBU: Europe

Quantity Parts # Part Description

1 SEPTEMBER 15 INTEL PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR 2
1 {DIMENSION 4500}P4 2.53GHZ/512K, INTEGRA
1 DIMENSION 4500 ENGLISH DOCUMENTATION AND
1 256MB 266MHZ DDR RAM MEMORY, (1X256MB)
1 40GB IDE (5, 400RPM) HARD DRIVE
1 40 X CDRW AND 16 X DVD
1 CYBERLINK POWERDVD V11
1 UK/IRISH - 17" VALUE MIDNIGHT GREY (E771
1 64MB NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX 420 GRAPHICS CAR
1 UK/IRELAND - HARMAN KARDON 395 MIDNIGHT
1 UK MODEM INTERNAL V.92 PCI (DATA, FAX, V
1 DELL/LOGITECH MIDNIGHT GREY PS/2 MOUSE,
1 MOUSE & PAD DELL LOGO
1 UK/IRISH (QWERTY) - DELL ENTRY MIDNIGHT
1 *** EOL SKU *** ENGLISH - WIN XP HOME WI
1 ENGLISH MICROSOFT WORKS 8.0 (WORD PROCES
1 *** EOL SKU *** AOL- 7 ISP FI UK
1 {UK- }DELLNET ISP(UK)
1 BASE WARRANTY

hope to hear from you soon, Happy Easter!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What I gather from Dell is that the computer has a non-integrated sound card on pci-3. Try to place it in a different pci slot and see if it makes any difference. Use this occasion to wipe the contacts clean with a soft piece of cloth or paper. Use soft brush to clean the slots.

Have you installed all the drivers that are on drivers disk? That should include INF or chipset driver.

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok this is what I have done...

I opened the back up to remove from PCI slot (as suggested) but guess what ....it is not in a PCI slot. only things in those are the ethernet card (I put in years ago) and the modem - there's a lead coming out of it that connects to the telephony voice modem connector on the motherboard.

The audio device appears to be integrated in the motherboard - at least thats where the speaker leads plug in.

Yes, I have tried to install the drivers from the installation disc, but it doesn't seem to recognise them.

I have uninstalled the device in Device Manager, re-started and let "Add New Hardware" do it's job. But again it cannot find the drivers.

I identified the Intel device using Everest and then the Intel website "chipset Id utility" and downloaded the driver it suggested, but still no luck! it still doesn't recognise that either!

In device manager it says that the drivers are not installed (like tell me something I don't know!)

this is really frustrating! :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It is frustraring and I understand how you feel. The problem is that there is not much to be found about this computer. What I found was that an original sound card was supposed to be installed on pci 3. Evidently it isn't. Was the sound working well before the format? Are you sure it started after?

1: Some three years ago I saw genuine Intel motherboards with genuine driver disks. The installation of the audio driver was bizarre. You had to do the following: insert the drivers cd > click software > drivers > audio > audio driver > 5.10.0.5027 > mshdqfe > win 2k-xp > languages: US > run kb825221. After that you could install the driver. It was my son's computer and I would never have found this without the seller's technical support.

2: That brings me to the second point. It might be advisable to approach the technical support of Dell.

3: Try to find the driver at driverguide.com. I'll try to look too and if I find something I'll let you know.

4: There is a possibility that the sound hardware on the motherboard is faulty. I find it too much of coincidence if the problem started immediately after format but it might be. In The worst case you may consider buying a pci sound card.

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The sound was working fine, before the re-format. in fact this is the second re-format as the first time I was unable to perform any windows updates, so I figured I might as well start again, as all that WAS working was the sound (what a cruel world!)

I inserted the original drivers disc, but it seems to work diffrently to the one you spoke of, however I did manage to locate driver, but it still did not work. as usual the message is..."the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

I have tried the Dell "help & Support" inbuilt into PC, but that came up with nothing that I hadn't already tried.

I did find the driver at driverguide.com. but again it doesn't work...."the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

I was already beginning to think a new PCI sound card may be the way to go! I have 2 spare slots to use.

but I'll try contacting Dell & Intel & Harmon/Karmon before I really give up! I'll let you know if I have any success.

enjoy what's left of Easter Holidays in your part of the world! :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks. If you do find a solution please let us know. It's interesting.

Dionysis

Dionysis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:whistling: :help: :help:

in case you hadn't guessed by the emotions.... :blink: it's working

I took a step back and started at the beginning...I uninstalled the device in device manager.

went to Dell website ran a PC Checkup scan > that discovered a hotfix in windows that was missing (it was an optional update) & I also downloaded the Soundmax drivers Again for both the audio device & the Harmon/Karmon speakers >saved to desktop where I then installed manually not using the wizard.

re-started PC and went straight to sounds/speech & audio devices and changed the settings in audio tab to use the soundmax as default player etc. and it worked. i had done this before without success so I guess trial & error & perseverance paid off.. My son is now jumping for joy as he wants this PC for his Ipod....Itunes mmmm a whole other kettle of fish!!

Thanks for your help and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

trial & error & perseverance...my new signature I think!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.