Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lan connection unplugged

• Please log in to reply

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
The power went off for 19 seconds today. Now I have the "local area connection network cable unplugged" message with a red x on the connection icon.
I have tried winsock xp, disable this network device, enable this network device.
The properties shows 1. ms network client 2. ms network file printer share for ms networks 3. QoS packet scheduler 4. TCP/IP Internet Protocol.

I have turned off computer and disconnected modem for 30 minutes.

Nothing fixes this. The ISP provided no answers.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
probably the network card (which is where the ethernet cable from your modem plugs in) inside your PC has failed. you need to fit a new one.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you had login information in the modem it may be lost. Most modems have this for an access page

http://192.168.0.1

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Power cycle your LAN. Unplug the modem, router, and turn your computers off. Wait one minute and pug your modem in. Wait one more minute and plug you router in. Wait another minute and turn your computers and network devices on.
On the chance DHCP in your router has not reset properly, this will clear and reassign the DHCP settings.

zbd

zbd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Thanks for the ideas.
I reset the router. Now it looks great but I have no internet connection.
The network connection shows "local area connection connected, Ali PCL Fast Ethernet Controller
Yet IE says this page cannot be displayed, FF shows can't find the server at www....., Opera says could not locate remote server.

I will get a new modem in a few days but I think that's not the problem.

Maybe a new network interface card (nic) after that.

Why do computer problems only happen on weekends? (joking)

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
OK thats good. At least we have progress. Now try clearing the Resolve Cache. Use the following command.
Got to Start then Run. Type in cmd in the Run dialog box and press enter. When the command line screen comes up type in ipconfig /flushDNS and press enter. Then try your browser. If it works try it on all your computers.

zbd

zbd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Thanks. It didn't help. Took the computer to a shop and hooked it up to internet with no problem.
The computer is not the problem.
That leaves only modem or router..
Getting a new modem first.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Aye.

zbd

zbd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Getting a new modem fixed the problem. Thanks everyone.

Edited by zbd, 09 April 2007 - 06:03 AM.