Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow bootup

• Please log in to reply

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
My computer takes about 2-3 minutes to boot. When it finally does, it takes quite some time for my programs to work after I click them on the desktop. For example, AOL ( I know, some people hate it ) takes up to 4 minutes to load. Other times, some programs do not load at all. I have used the AVG software ( it is running at startup ) and scan on a regular basis. I also use XofSpy and scan reguarily also. My machine is a pentium 4 - 3.3 speed, 1 gig of ram. I have 2 IDE hard drives 180 and 200 gig, one 160 gig sata drive 2 dvd burners, and my video card is a ATI All in Wonder.
My video also is slow. I get "overlapping" video. The video from one program remains for a short while and the other video appears. I also get the message "program not responding" quite often. Can someone help me? Thanks

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This may take a while, but it may reveal a program that is slowing you down:

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Is it still slow? If not, continue with the next part. If so, STOP and report back to me.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Is it still slow? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the slowness, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back.