Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused by fluctuating HD space

• Please log in to reply

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Just yesterday my C: was down to 1.75 GB's of free space and then all of a sudden it shot up to 6.65 GB's!!!! The thing is I keep close track of my files and how much space they take up and I noticed that nothing was deleted. How can something like that happen????

Edited by Derek Jeter, 07 April 2007 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One thing i found is if you go to a lot of newsgroups with Outlook it can put so many files on your computer that you can lose 3 to 5 gigs of space in a short while. Second thing that could be happening is someone is using your computer to send data out with a rootkit program. You can set your browser to delete most of the temp internet files and cookies when you close the program.

Rootkit revealer lets you check your system for hidden rootkits.

http://www.filehippo...otkit_revealer/

Other places that can take up a lot of space if the temp internet files and temp files folders. Check them and clean them up at least weekly. I also use a program called the Unlocker to delete the index.dat files, as they can get to be quite large after a while. I would look into what exactly you are doing to see where the problem is. Check the temp files at different times and see if they expand quickly, etc. You need to look into your browsing habits to see whats happening. Hopefully you are using a firewall to limit incoming and outgoing packets.

SRX660

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks. I'm currently running the Rootkit revealer right now.