Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe not working

• Please log in to reply

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Keith,
Still same problem after reboot.

Whiskeyman,
Tried old restore point also. That made no difference.

Any other ideas?

Did you try the quoted suggestion?

Advertisements

DocR

DocR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith and others,
First, thanks for the suggestions. I decided not to reinstall Win XP. From past experience I have screwed up twice doing that and had to bring PC in to vender to repair. Instead I spent 4 painstaking hours removing startup programs one by one from MSCONFIG (system configuaration utility) and rebooting the notebook. Finally on the 4th hour I found the culprit. "IPMON32 C:\ProgramFiles\Verizon Online\visualIP Insight\IPMON32.exe". As soon as I unchecked this box in front of this program and rebooted Explorer.exe worked. Rechecke dthe other programs I removed and rebooted and it still works. I don't know what this program does just know it is associated somehow with Verizon Yahoo. Thanks again everybody. Maybe this can help someone else in the future.

DocR

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That's strange... Verizon is also my ISP, and I have the same file, yet no problems.

Installed with Verizon DSL accounts. IP Insight is a Quality of Service monitor and diagnostic tool that isn't required - see here for more information

DocR

DocR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The file had been there for a long time on my laptop then suddenly it caused a problem. Maybe it became corrupted. I don't know. I just glad I didn't have to reinstall Win XP. Iknow that would have been a problem too.