Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop motherboard connections

• Please log in to reply

jmar2

jmar2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,
This is my first post, hopefully I am in the correct forum and not breaking any protocol.

I have a Toshiba A105 laptop, running WinXP-SP2, 2GHz processor and 1GB memory. Pretty decent laptop, but I work in a dusty environment: (farm, dirt, dogs and computer keyboard cats)

The unit is a little over a year old and began to exhibit overheating symptoms. I very carefully disassembled according to instructions and removed a small pickup load of dust and debris.

But in reassembly, I broke one of the flat ribbon cable latches - of course it is the ribbon connector from the POWER ON button.

The connector is OK, the cable is OK, I just can't make it fit tightly. When I went to Radio Shack, JDR Electronics and Mouser.com, I couldn't even find a description of "little plastic locking pieces".

I figure as graceful as the typical adult male is, there should be a boatload of these parts being sold in mixed sizes.

So:
1) What is the technical name for the connecting cable - the flat pieces of multi-conductor ribbons?
2) What is the technical name for the various sized little plastic locking pieces?
3) Anybody know who sells multi-sized kits of the above two items?
4) Anybody know who sells schematics of the Toshiba motherboards that lays out pin connections?

Thanks,

John

Advertisements