Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank screen on boot

• Please log in to reply

zzwazz

zzwazz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
MB: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Due 2.4Ghz
Video Card: XFX GeForce 7900 GS 256MB
RAM: 2x CORSAIR XMS2 1 GB DDR2

I put together my computer yesterday and everything worked fine, then windows abruptly restarted. I was unable to boot windows due to a currupt file. I then tried running windows setup to run the repair tool but setup would not load due to a missing file, or it just gave me the blue screen when loading setup. It then regressed to me not even being able to boot from any device and not being able to load BIOS setup. Now it's to the point where nothing happens when I power on the computer, I just get a blank screen. I've deteached everything from the motherboard except essentials and still nothing. I tried my graphics card on another computer and it works fine. I don't have a means of testing the motheboard or processor on a working system. All the fans still spin when powering up, also if I remove my RAM I get the appropriate beep error. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
hmm....i think the RAM might have gone bad. it might also be the proc, but its not very likely. drop the RAM into another pc and try a program like memtest86 to see if it's the RAM.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
memory wouldn't do that. Its either your CPU or your Mobo. Check caps on your mobo for swelling, make sure they didnt take on too much of a load. If you can, get your hands on another CPU and plug it in to see if it posts. if it doesn't than its the mobo. or you could just skip the testing and RMA them both.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
i figured it wasnt the mobo cause he said he got the beep error when the ram was taken out, but maybe it messed up on another section of the mobo.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
most likely the CPU then.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
shipping a bad CPU is the worst thing a vendor can do, next to stealing your credit card, moving to the bahamas, and buying Microsoft HQ

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i used to do new builds at my previous computer shop, and we had to extensively test every piece before sending it out to the customer. we would get in about 1 bad stick of memory for every 10 shipped to us, as well as a whopping 1 out of every 20 core 2 duo's bad. power supplies have exploded in my face, i have watched HDD"s light on fire just by turning them on, we have had to evacuate our building from the stench of roasted HDD's before. =/ not fun.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
wow....dangerous work

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
lol im not Steve Erwin (God rest his soul)

zzwazz

zzwazz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
After talking to some people, I decided to send RMA the mobo. I'm hoping that it isn't the processor. Now I'm just waiting and gonna see if a new mobo fixes the problem.