Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Runtime Environment 6u1

• Please log in to reply

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
In a malware post, it was recommended to upgrade to the latest JRE, which is version 6. A link is provided.

I found JRE 6u1 on link page. I clicked "download". The 1st choice is Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1. it had 2 installations: an offline and an online installation. Which one (or both?) do I download? Shall i use the Sun Dowload Manager? I read only one at a time can be downloaded.

Second, I have the following java programs: J2SE Runtime Envir. 5.0 Update 6, 9, 10, 11, AND Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03 currently installed. am I correct to assume that all need to deleted after I save latest version to desktop but b4 I run it?

I went to Sun Java forum. The confusion is amazing. Seems, as os, March 30, 07, the 6 version was not available. And seems everyone thinks that only the "technically savvy developers" know what to download. And of course, they do not communicate to "notsosmart" people well. :-)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The online installation means it downloads the files from the website.
The offline installation means, um, it doesn't. :whistling: Mainly designed for computers that don't have internet access or people on dial-up (whatever that is). :blink:

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks Neil.

I just installed JRE1.6.0_1. I went thru Microsoft site which led me to Java.com. I'm not sure this is correct because the "1" at the end indicates this is an update. File size is 68.9MB. Is this the one? If so, can I delete the past versions mentioned above? Thanks a lot.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're right about the Java site not working very well, I'lve always found it necessary to download the complete installation to desktop to install. And when I downloaded Solaris10 for a trial I had to restart their little funky download manager about a dozen times to get everything.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Tyger, I'm glad you understand. No wonder Sun Micro's stock stays in the dumper.

Now back to my questions. Is JRE1.6.0_1 the latest? And can I delete the other programs/updates mentioned above?