Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

l.sass.exe error

• Please log in to reply

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

I have win xp installed. I have just reinstalled for the 7th time.

When I turn off the pc I get l.sass.exe-system error. Security accounts manager initilization failed because of the following error. The handle is invalid. error status: 0x0000008. then it says check event log.

Okay first I had a virus called Hidrag.A, I had to reformat to get rid of it. virus gone, no sasser virus, ran the sasser tool. Updated my virus scanner. Reinstalled still getting same error. I'm thinking okay this file is corrupt. PURCHASED new winxp today, still getting same error message after format and fresh install. No 80 gig maxtor. Could this be a hard drive conflict. Put in new Nvidia GeForce 4mx 4000, as video keeps going with the error and it has not helped at all. I do not have Roxio cd drivers which apparently cause lots of problems. I have an lg cdrw. system is fine if I just restart. If I shut down it takes 5 boots to restart. Service pack 2 is installed. I think this has got to be a hard drive problem, what do you think???? by the way I also use Ad-aware. :tazz:

Thanks Dawn

Advertisements

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sorry about the typo I have a 80 maxtor hd recently purchesed.
thx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you say l.sass.exe...dead pixel on an lcd?

Reboot, tapping f8

Choose safe mode with command prompt

type chkdsk /f /r

take a walk, drink a cup of coffee, watch a movie. This will be slow. I am betting this will NOT finish.

Please confirm

Other questions.....

How much memory (meaning how much and how many sticks of ram)?
Athlon of Pentium processor?

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

thankd for being so fast, no dead pixel on lcd, old fashioned 14 inch Daytek monitor. I have 224 mgs of ram and Celereon 633 mhz processor, over clocked to 800mhz. Has always been for the last 2 years, could this be a problem. I'm gonna shut down and run chckdsk, but your right it wont finnish it will say nto enough hd dpspace to finish or something. Runs a blue screen with white writing going so fast you can't read it and aborts.

Thank you,
Dawn

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
really...not enough space on a freshly formatted install?

No, I don't think the overcclock is an issue. I think that it is a memory issue or drive issue.

224 mb of ram is more than one stick...remove sticks one at a time (guarding against static shock) and see if it repeats)

Drive--You said that you reformatted, but did you wipe out the previous partitions?

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

Ran chkdsk in safe mode and it says: Cannot lock curent drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another partition.

I have reformatted but never wiped out partitions, I don't even know how, the xp cd doesn't seem to give me that option or I would have done already and created new partitions, maybe 3 instead of 2???

Again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Dawn

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I should add that the ram I put in here has been for a few years now, just the hd is new.

thx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Wait...the harddrive is new? As in never worked?

Then you must have created the partition when installing XP (they don't come partitioned).

What make and model is the drive?

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hard drive is partitioned into 2, 40 gig sectors, I am installing xp on C drive, the first drive, no other operating sytem, nothing, just want to go. It was working fine and then one day crashed, I do reinstall and have this problem. The guy who installed pc set up the partitions, maybe I should do this again?? How do I do this?

80 gig maxtor, don't know model #.

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well its a new day, after 5 tries chkdsk finally ran, and as you said it didn't finish. It said insufficient bitmap space, chkdsk aborted. the pc restarted so fast I hardly caught what it said. I think I need to wipe the whole drive, repartition and start over. Or buy a new harddrive again...??? Any ideas would be appreciated.

thx, Dawn

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
absolutely....you could futz with it for a while, but since your goal is not to recover anything from the drive anyway, I would start clean.

Couple ways to go about it....

Easiest way is to boot with windows cd and use it to delete the partition.

You can find an example of this on this page:

http://www.blackvipe...stallxppro1.htm

fourth picture from top on the left

Dawn2005

Dawn2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, I'm gonna try one more time, I have formatted this drive so often now I'm seeing it in my sleep. What I want to do this time is wipe out all partitions and create them as new, correct? I had already looked at your link earlier, I came upon on the web site and read windows diskpart info. thanks for the help and I'll see what happens.

Dawn

jdm

jdm

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Hi,

I have win xp installed.  I have just reinstalled  for the 7th time.

When I turn off the pc I get l.sass.exe-system error.  Security accounts manager initilization failed because of the following error.  The handle is invalid.  error status: 0x0000008.  then it says check event log. 

Okay first I had a virus called Hidrag.A, I had to reformat to get rid of it.  virus gone, no sasser virus, ran the sasser tool.  Updated my virus scanner.  Reinstalled still getting same error.  I'm thinking okay this file is corrupt.  PURCHASED new winxp today, still getting same error message after format and fresh install.  No  80 gig maxtor.  Could this be a hard drive conflict.  Put in new Nvidia GeForce 4mx 4000, as video keeps going with the error and it has not helped at all.  I do not have Roxio cd drivers which apparently cause lots of problems.  I have an lg cdrw.  system is fine if I just restart.  If I shut down it takes 5 boots to restart.  Service pack 2 is installed.  I think this has got to be a hard drive problem, what do you think????  by the way I also use Ad-aware. :tazz:

Thanks Dawn

View Post

Dawn, Spysweeper has saved me many a time. It will find and fix problems that Ad-Aware and SpyBot miss. I use all three. If you want to try Spysweeper click here. Good luck in getting your PC back to normal again. I hope it goes as smoothly as can be expected.

JDM

jdm

jdm

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

What I want to do this time is wipe out all partitions and create them as new, correct?

View Post

Exactly what I would do in that situation -- delete the partition and start from scratch, that is.

JDM

ljkeith

ljkeith

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Do you have your computer on a network... office, dsl, cable?

If so unplug it. You will need to add the following patches to the OS before you reconnect to the network.

Then once you are connected again, goto www.microsoft.com and do an update on Windows xp.

This should work.