Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

locke91114

locke91114

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have windows XP home on my computer. I havent touched it since i bought the computer, brand new, so it is a perfectly legal copy of windows. Now i want to reinstall windows (wich is installed on its own partition of my 1 hardrive) but i dont have a legal copy of windows, just a pirated copy. My question to you is:

1. If i reinstall xp home with a pirated cd (wich works just fine) would i be able to install it using my legal product key? Also, if i were to install xp profesional, would i be able to use my legal xp home product key?

2. If i reinstall windows, wich is on its own partition of my hardrive, would the other partition containing all my files be affected?

3. If i were to install a pirated copy of xp proffesional with a fake cd key, what would be the disadvantages of having an ilegal copy of xp?

Thankyou in advance any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Read This

We can't help with illegal things here... my only advice is to buy a legal copy of XP.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Every installation of Windows XP needs to have its own serial key. Keys for Home will not work for Pro, and vice versa. By not using a legitimate key, you will not be able to update Windows, leaving you susceptable to infections and other security breaches.

Topic closed.

-Ryan