Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD rom doesnt recognise any disc!

• Please log in to reply

girryman

girryman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
having a problem when ever i put a cd in my laptop it says that theres no disc inside, any help you could give solving the problem would be great.

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
At what point did it stop working?

What make and model for the Laptop?

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
stopped working about a month ago, after putting a cd in to listen to music, then it just died, the model is free vents x56x philips.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Does it spin at all? See any blinking lights?

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes the lights do flash, but no noise, at the begging could here it but now nothing.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Sounds like it might be toast, but there are a couple things you might try....Firstly a system restore to before it stopped working (in case it is a configuration thing.) Otherwise, try air blowing it out, make sure nothing is covering the lens?

Also you might try uninstalling the CD-ROM from Device Manager by right-clicking it in the Device Manager and delete it. Then reinstall it.

But it does sound like its run its last mile.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
if i unistall from the device manager do i need a cd to reinstall or will it automaticlly install on start up? thanks for your help

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
I think XP will install a generic CD-R driver, but I don't know for sure. It is best to have the driver available before doing so.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok will give it a try, thanks for your time help and effort, will post back if it works if not i think you might be right and its toast.