Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 Upgrade - no sound

• Please log in to reply

crypticpat

crypticpat

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have just upgraded my son's computer to SP2 and have lost sound. The system shows no devices installed although it was working perfectly before the upgrade. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanjk you. Pat

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This may have been caused by a recent Windows update which messed up things on machines that have Realtek audio. They have issued a fix for this, first thing is go to the update page and see if it is there. It's related to two specific updates that are conflicting and cause one or more drivers to be moved in memory. There are many posts about that here and in other forums.

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Tyger,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Please could you give me a link to the fix as I have been unable to find it. Thanks a lot. Pat

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay, have found and downloaded KB 935448, but it hasn't made any difference. Can anyone else advise me please? Otherwise I will have to do a System Restore and keep opearating on SP1. Thanks Pat