Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled win 98, but it doesn't look right

• Please log in to reply

chauncey

chauncey

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi.

My girlfriends computer recently crashed requiring a new hard drive to be installed. i just tried putting in windows 98 and

everything seemed to go okay. however, when it boots up the screen looks like its in safe mode. i can't seem to change that in control settings/display. any suggestions?

dell latititude c600, at least 4 years old

thanks,

steve

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to update the graphics card drivers for the PC

http://support.dell..../...;l=en&s=bsd however...on dell i don't see that driver

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
if you are unable to find it, you can goto dells website and punch in your service tag number, they all have a service tag... its just hard to find sometimes. ONce you put in your service tag it will give you a list of drivers for that specific model. I also have a C600, and it took me some digging to find it , but I was able to get it all up and going. If you have trouble finding it, make a post here and I will give you some more help.... mine was on a little tiny white strip on the bottom.... half rubbed off from use. So good luck :whistling:

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I should let you know that i am unable to get online to download any drivers using my girlfriend's computer. the device manager in her machine has a yellow ! next to the following; other devices: PCI communication device; PCI ethernet controller; PCI multimedia audio device. does this have anything to do with internet connection?

also, I went to dell on my machine to download a graphics card driver to put on a disk and install in her machine, but it was too big for a floppy, yes floppy. what i tried to download to solve the original problem of screen size was the video adapter driver which was 13MB.

what do you think?

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I had the same problem with mine. What you need to do is, useing the USB cord for your modem (I stole mine from the printer :whistling: use that to plug your computer into the modem, no router or anything just straight into the modem. This "Should" get you online, use the computer to get to dell and find your drivers. I myself use a wonderfull program, but unfortunally you have to pay a one time fee (29.95$ I think). I payed it like 3 years ago and still have access to the program and use it all the time. www.drivershq.com is where I got it. It will tell you what drivers your missing and even let you get just that driver.

What I did was last time I tried to reinstall everything I got that program first, downloaded all the drivers it told me I needed into a file on the desk top. After the computer was in tip top shape, I burnt those drivers to a CD, and the next 2 times I had to format that HD all I had to do was insert the CD and update all my drivers :blink:

I recomend the program for all who want it :help:

FYI I am not, repet NOT an expert on windows or Dell, just had so much dealing with them in the last 4 years I know my way around this exact same problem!! SO take my advice knowing that Thanks :help:

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i connected the modem to the computer via a usb cable. it recognized a new device and asked for the driver. i had put the cd rom for the modem in the cd drive. it did not find the driver.

to go back, in control panel/ display i should be able to move the slider in "display area," but I am not allowed. this is a graphics card problem?

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Would it help if I uninstalled windows 98se? I have a os reinstallation cd as well as a reinstallation for dell latitude c600 drivers and utilities and a dell latitude c-family system bios cd. or, will i only screw things up more?

steve

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Alternative method here, use any computer, go to the Dell drivers and downloads site, punch in the service tag #, download all the drivers, then burn them to a CD, use the CD to install.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok I have to ask, is 98se the OS that came with the laptop? You said you installed it, but is that whats on the OS restore cd? The drivers your looking for are probally on that drives CD...lol my HP came with 2 cds, the OS disk and the drivers disk. after installing the OS I just put in the drivers cd and well I got all my drivers causer thats what I needed. Well whats the worst thing that can happen, you have to format and reinstall the OS again...lol not like you have anything to lose. also that other puter thing should also work. Let us know what you decide!

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i can only assume this machine came installed with windows98se as that is the reinstallation cd that came with it. same for the drivers cd. the computer crashed a few days ago and a new hard drive was installed today. after the hard drive was installed, i attempted to reinstall the os with aforementioned cds. i didn't get any indication that something went wrong other than the small screen and the inabililty to access the internet. should i uninstall then reinstall this os again? if so, how do I do that?

thanks,

steve

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Some modems prefer the driver installed before the modem is connected

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
the drivers cd is in the machine, but i how to actually install the driver for the modem? i've unzipped it and tried opening it, but it won't open. there is even a circle with a slash through the icon for the modem.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
if you want to start over you can. Thats simple, but you might have the same problems you are haveing now. as for the drivers, goto your device manager START>CONTROL PANNEL>SYSTEM Icon. (I think my 98 is rusty :blink: ) and under the hardware tab it will say device manager. Find the modem it will have a little yellow triangle with a ! in it. Right click and click update driver. It will run the new hardware wizard. Select pick driver from specific location. Click browse and then just navagte to where you unziped the drivers to and it should find and install them. If that dont work write back :whistling:

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
hey,

i tried with the drivers cd a few times to no avail. from a search i did on the web, found for whatever reason this is a common problem. as was suggested here earlier, I wound up downloading all the drivers from the dell site and reinstalling them. that did the trick. thany you everyone for your help and patience.

steve

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Glad it worked for you, now remember to SAVE that CD. It never hurts to make back ups of all the drivers you need to get your computer back up and running :whistling:

I am glad that the geeks here, as well as myself were able to offer assistance and get you back up and going.