Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible HD Issue, no idea please help.

• Please log in to reply

chev19elle68

chev19elle68

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys,
I've been looking around this forum a bit and i havent found any posts that deal with the exactly the issue im having. I have noticed that in the last four days or so my computer has slowed itself down significantly and i cant find out why. I have run numerous virus scans, spyware scans and disk error checks and they have all come up clean. My computer is slow when i start up, slow when i shut down and slow while im trying to use it. I've searched my registry for some out of place values and haven't found anything unordinary. The real issue im having though is now when i try to play video games i get a click from what seems to be my hard drive and i lag out for about 10 seconds. I will still have picture, just lagged out hard, then i get about 5 seconds of severe lag then another click and no action for 10 more seconds. I dont know what is at fault here. Can somebody please give me some tips on how to fix this issue. Both of these problems started at the same time and i havent made any progress on resolving either as of yet. Thank you!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well the things I'd look at are running a memory test ( memtest86+ ) and also a hard drive test. AS far as the harddrive go the manufacturer of your hard drive... most have software on their site for testing their drives... The other things to look at are... what do you have running in setup? Are you running norton security suite? ( not just av but a bunch of stuff? )

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
the slow startup and shutdown may be because of a dying motherboard. same thing is happening to my grandma's laptop.

chev19elle68

chev19elle68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have searched my registery and there is nothing unnecessary running upon startup. My Startup folder is empty as well. I will try looking at Maxtor's site for some software to test my HDD. I will also look for some mobo testing aparatus, does anyone know of any?

chev19elle68

chev19elle68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually now that i think about it, for the last month or so maybe my hardware that i have plugged into my motherboard have been seemingly shorting. Not to the point where they take damage, but i need to wiggle the cable, or unplug it, then plug it back into the mobo. This has happened with my keyboard and my USB wireless internet card. It could be possible that this is coincidence, but it might make sense that my mobo is slowly going to crap. Can anybody who knows anything about this give me some insight please?

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
theres no way to fix a mobo; you have to replace it

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yeah if you are sure your windows is clean then from that additional info I'd say maybe power supply ( not supplying enough power ) or as was said your motherboard maybe going...

chev19elle68

chev19elle68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, if that's the case then im pretty upset since i have replaced both my PSU and Mobo in the last 8 months. I know it doesnt matter how old something is, and that things can go bad at any time but that really bites! Thank you guys for your help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You stated you have a USB internet card. Is your keyboard also USB?
Try plugging the internet card into another USB port. You may not have enough power on the one you have.

chev19elle68

chev19elle68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, its not the USB internet card because my whole computer is slowed down. It takes literally 4 to 5 minutes for my computer to boot when it used to take 45 seconds. And every application i use takes forever to load and is incredibly laggy once it does load. I suppose i will try replacing the mobo, hopefully that will fix my issue.

nicus

nicus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Your problem is / was closely related to mine....just like what "you" did, I did a lot of system checks......virus scans, disk problem checks, and other stuff....but it had no useful results...so I assumed that it was hardware problem and yah in some point it was, I added a little bit of memory but still I had a feeling about my softwaere thingy so I also removed some programs of mine that's eating up my space, then a did a speed disk on the system and now its doing fine.......

have you checked your disk space and mem's ^_^ just trying to help

chev19elle68

chev19elle68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I am only using 30gigs out of my 190gb drive, so I dont think my drive is slowed down due to clutter or running out of space. I have run a check on my mem and it showed no errors.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

The real issue I'm having though is now when i try to play video games i get a click from what seems to be my hard drive

Do you hear clicks or only a single click? Does it only happen when u pay games or does it click alls when you boot?

About you're Mother board
- Try 2 update the mother board look on the manufacture site.
- Try and reset it through the hardware. Through the jumper or take out the battery and short the battery connectors for 10 sec and replace the battery (taking out the batt make sure u disconnect the power first.

Can u give us some specs on you're computer so we can use it to help?

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I take that the drive is SATA? i have heard that SATA drives are not a reliable as their IDE counterparts, and have been know to "click" then crash totally. BACK-UP ALL YOUR DATA,

I can speak from experience, i had exactly this problem at xmas, my HD (13 months old) started clicking, and slowing my PC, o put it as secondary, but when i tried accessing it, it clicked and was slow, i then started getting Blue Screens Of Death, which signified to me that the HD was almost dead, so i bought another and its been work 100% again since, loading windows in 20seconds etc.