Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple FTP question

• Please log in to reply

vini

vini

• Pip
  • 8 posts
All I need to do is make a certain folder public on my site, meaning people could view and upload things to it. But I have a problem, the only way I know to do it is to edit CHMOD properties of the folder in any FTP client, and check stuff under public like READ WRITE AND EXECUTE.

The problem is, I can't edit CHMOD, since I'm not running a Unix server, I think it's a windows server. So does anyone know how to accomplish this with the windows server?

I want people to be able to access this folder online, right now I can only access it through FTP with the username and pass.

Edited by vini, 11 April 2007 - 09:29 AM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
No server admin in the world would allow you to do something like this. Its sheer stupidity. For security reasons.

cdaarch

cdaarch

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I am not so sure there; once he accesses the server (the site) with his username and password, he should be able to go in and edit the file directly on the server; this is done for some blogs and open source programs. I did do something similar like this recently for my WordPress blog (with own domain name - not WP sub-domain) and was able to change the ?? question urls to search-engine friendly urls. I believe the server I am using is also Windows but I may be mistaken and I hope I did not misunderstand your question.

If it might help you, why not try looking at the Word Press forums to get some guidance. If you need me to confirm what server I am using (imagine that, I don't even know for sure! :whistling: ) etc. just post back a private message or something as I don't surf the Geeks To Go forum very often.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I think you are reading something that is not there.

All I need to do is make a certain folder public on my site, meaning people could view and upload things to it.

I don't see where this has anything to do with WP? I also don't see where he says anything about requiring a password to be able to upload?

He isn't talking about himself being able to upload, he can already do that since he has FTP access. From what I can see, he wants a way that anyone in the world could upload to a folder on his server, without requiring a password.

Also, do not offer advice via PM here. All help should be offered on the forum so that the staff here can watch what is being said to minimize any possible bad advice.

cdaarch

cdaarch

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I really need to apologize. Though I kept it in mind that I may have misunderstood the question, I thought it would be helpful just in case it was what I thought.

And I owe you an additional apology since I obviously didn't realize that this particular forum was meant only for moderators. I'm sorry. :whistling:

Take care.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
This forum is not only for moderators, we appreciate any help that people are willing to give. We just like to be able to check the validity of the help being given here. We can only do that if you post on the forum.