Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

At download: "OS is a 16 bit;32 bit needed"

• Please log in to reply

sixpacksix

sixpacksix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I dunno.... but I suspect a utility called [ID BLASTER PLUS] that I tried to use months ago to fool hackers who had gained control of my PC with a virus and a [Backdoor Zombie] :) . I thought the simple principal of the program was (or is) to disguise your data files as something meaningless, rather than encrypting everything (which red flags you as having something worth hiding). They have a forum for posting, but no one can answer the question that I posted in their forum way back in Sept. 2004 :) . They have other utility software too, yet I cannot remember right now the name of the forum. It is owned by [LYCOS] so [Pest Patrol] identifies it as a hidden [Lycos Side Search} spyware/malware. I think there was a Lycos folder installed OEM from Gateway as was many SYMANTEC files were too. I am not happy about this, as Norton Symantec is way over-sized and cumbersome, and an easy target for viruses. I cannot uninstall it, because there are scores of files ,some of which are part of M$ scheme to control what software we buy. So if I put the blame anywhere, it would be in the LYCOS ID Blaster (which may have somehow re-named or hidden what type of OS or system apps I am running....I get no help from their forum, or from the help file it comes with. If I uninstall it, then I may be erasing the path I need to follow back to restoring it to normal. Forget system restore, I have used it up too many times and now it(the problem) is locked into all archived files many times over. This is because of the fight with the stupid viruses that were allowed in by the Backdoor Zombie (which is the method popular with hackers for taking control over thousands of PC's and link the power of combined CPU's together to break into even more PC's). I have SP2 firewall, S&D; Ad-Aware; SpywareBlaster; SpywareGuard; StopZilla; CW Shredder; VX2 tool (in Ad-Aware); M$ Beta (Hmmm, not bad, but THEY OWE US ANYWAY !); Win-Patrol; CA EZ anti-virus; HijackThis; Pest Patrol{trial from Surf Secret.com) and Secretmaker (BTW not a bad program...easy on my CPU's). I have had trouble with Task Manager before when the hacker(s) had control; they had a way of hijacking it. Now it seems the problem is returning, I only get the little green power indicator graph come up on my taskbar (remnants of Zone Alarm ghosting me?? ;) ). I cannot use it when I get hang! But that is another whole problem, but I am mentioning it because maybe it is related to this problem ;) Thanks to anyone who can help (I sold my first born already j/k)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Paragraphs are your friend.....

I am totally lost here...you have a whole bunch of info on what you were after and where you are, but I cannot tell what the problem is?

Could we slow down?

ID Blaster from javacool simply removes guids from software.....I have no idea what you're going on about here.

At download....what at download? You get an error from....what?

Take a breath.

Describe the symptom, any error message and sit tight.

Do one problem at a time.