Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Externail USB Hard Drive Generates "Delayed Write Failure" M

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Thurs Apr 12, 2007
12.15am est

Hi,

Got a new 250 GB hard drive in an external casing, which connects to my PC via a USB port.

When transfering data from internal hard drives to this 'storage' drive I often get aborted with this error message:

! Delayed Write Failed. Unable to save data: \device\harddiskvolume4\$MFT . Data will be lost. Cause may be PC hardware. Try to save this file elsewhere.

What should I do to clear the path straight into this little storage library ? The casing did not need a driver for XP, acts like a plug and play, and it generally sends the data where I want.....except a couple of times....

Any advice ??

- Scottportraits

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I've seen that message only once on my system and I put it down to turning off the power to the drive (it has a rocker-switch on the casing) at an inopportune time, causing Windows to to give the error next time I booted up. Quite what constitutes an "inopportune" time I cannot say, but since I now only switch it off AFTER I've shut down my PC, I've never seen the error since. This makes perfect sense to me, since Windows cannot perform a 'delayed write' operation if the target drive has been switched off.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Fri Apr 13, 11.30pm est

Oh, ok, great advice.....yes, I will only turn off the toggle power switch on the casing AFTER the PC is booted off.

Thanks !!