Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Autologon Problem

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi guys, I'm experiencing some difficulty to enable the autologon feature for Windows XP Pro, well more like make it stay that way.

I use this computer for video surveillance and there's only one account on the machine so it should autologon after each unexpected reboot. It used to do it fine until recently I had to reinstall the OS.

I've searched the net but couldn't find how to do the trick manually therefore I used Tweak UI from the Microsofot Powertoys selection. It worked fine but the problem is that everytime after I do experience an unexpected reboot I have to go into Tweak UI and re-tick the option "Log on automatically at system startup".

Anyone could tell me how to go into the registry and do it so it can permanently stay that way?

Much appreciated

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi chinofeliz!

I am betting that you have the .NET Framework 1.1 installed. Go to Windows Update and download the update to it. That will making your computer auto-login again as long as you don't have a password set for the account and only have one account on the computer.

Fenor

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if that doesn't work...or if the user does in fact have a password go here and get autologon...it will make the neccessary registry changes to log on even a user with a password (i've got about 30 pc's running this and it works like a charm)

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanks for the link! Looks like a very handy app :whistling:

I don't have a password btw that's why I felt puzzled as to why Windows wouldn't log on automatically for a single user after reboot;

Btw, after installing "autologon", would I be able to set a temporary password and switch off the account cos I don't want someone to mess with the PC? What happens if the reboot happens then? Does that mean that person would be able to get into the computer (if he/she knew to just reboot the machine)?

Much appreciated

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with autologon...it's actually best to set a PW on the user...autologon stores the password...so even if they reboot the PC...it will still logon to that user without giving them an option

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey Fenor my old mate! Sorry I didn't see your reply up there for a minute.

Yes I did install the .NET Framework 1.1 along with version 2.0 and 3.0 after I reinstalled the OS. I'm on Windows Update now and looking at this download called "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1", I'm hoping this is the "update" you mentioned?

Cheers!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, that is the update. Get that.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Fenor, since the system's used for video surveillance around the clock I don't reboot it often at all. Today when I had to do a reboot after uninstalling some programs I found that the system still wouldn't log on automatically for my single user account without password. Then I went onto Microsoft Update and confirmed that I did install the update to .NET Framework successfully, what do I do now?

Thanks as always

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try what dsenette suggested and see if that solves your problem. :whistling:

Fenor