Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Network & Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply

Kaliman

Kaliman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Howdy,

First off, I know nothing regarding networking. Now that that is outta the way let me give you all specifics on the hardware I'm using:

Desktop A: Dell Dimension DIM3000 running Windows XP Home

Desktop B: HP Pavilion running Windows XP Pro

Laptop: Dell Latitude running Windows XP Home

Wireless Router: Belkin Model F5D6231-4

Print Server: Linksys Wireless-G Model WPS54GU2

Printer: HP LaserJet 5 (it only has a parallel port connection, I don't see any USP port)

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I wish to utilize the LaserJet 5 printer as the main printer for desktops A&B and the laptop.

How do I do that?????

So far, I have desktop A connected to the router with cable, and desktop B and the laptop connected to the router wireless. I am able to access the internet with all three computers. I don't know how to get the printer connected so I can print from it with all three computers.

Help much appreciated!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Set all computers to the same workgroup. (right-click my Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name, reboot.
Go to Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> right-click your printer -> Sharing -> Share this printer -> Give it a name -> OK.

On each other computer, if you go into My Network Places, after a short while the printer should appear on it. Double-click it, it'll want to install a driver from the computer the printer is connected to. Let it do so and let it default. Repeat for each computer. It should now be just a case of sending documents as you wish for them to come out.

Kaliman

Kaliman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'll do so within the next day. I'll post the results then. Thank you for your reply! :whistling:

Che

Che

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Huh?

Edited by Che, 19 April 2007 - 11:40 AM.

Kaliman

Kaliman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
O.K. So I did as Neil Jones suggested. Here's what I see:

From Desktop B, I click on My Network Places. If I then click on "View Workgroup Computers", I see Desktop B and A on the screen. I assume this means that my network is well established. I don't necessarily see the shared printer unless I click on "Printer & Faxes".

I tried printing from Desktop B, but it does not print.

What I did at this point was click on "View Workgroup Computers" and then clicked ont he Desktop A icon. The following message popped up:

"\\Mack is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

BTW, Mack is the name of Desktop A.

What next?????

Kaliman

Kaliman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ttt

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Just to clarify, "Mack" was turned on during the testing correct? Do you have access to any other shared items on "Mack"?

Kaliman

Kaliman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Desktop A (i.e. Mack) was turned on throughout the process. I don't have any access to Mack from Desktop B.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Actually, now that i re-read this topic, I see that you are using a wireless print server. You shouldn't even have to access MACK, or any other machine.

Go to Control Panel> Printers and Faxes> Add Printer

From there, choose network printer or printer connected to another computer,
for URL, enter: http://<ip of wireless print server>
From there it should show your printer, and you can select and follow directions to use it.

After it is installed, you should be able to select it to print when you press Ctrl + P to print and use the little drop down menu if there is more than one option.