Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do you ?

• Please log in to reply

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
How do you access the "Local Users and groups" snapin in windows Vista?

I couldn't find it myself when I used my girl friends laptop. I know with XP Pro its in the start menu in Administrator tools... but even under that, in Vista, I didn't see it. I'm still trying to orient myself with Vista =) I also didn't see it when you right click on my computer, and select manage. Does vista still have it?

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Administrative tools > Computer management > "Local Users and Groups" in the left column

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
UPDATE::
After trying to find Local Users and Groups, I found out that Windows Vista Premium does not allow you to use that snap-in which is why it isn't shown in the MMC console... or in the Computer Management window. I used windows help.. which suggested that if it did not appear in the MMC, that it wasn't installed. So, I went to the MMC window and tried to add it (do so by selecting Add snapin, and then selecting it from the list).. and it pops up with a promp saying that you aren't able to install that snapin because it is not installable on windows vista.... (so I guess I'm not blind or dumb afterall... spent forever trying to figure out how to access that snapin).

SO.. Im thinking that snapin is only available on Windows Vista Business operating systems. This leads me to question: Can you even make new Groups? (I'm thinking the answer to that is no... (with windows vista (non business) ). Basically I guess Microsoft just thinks home users will only have a few users under limited, and one administrator. (This saddens me... because it seems like Microsoft is starting to make windows suck.... in the sense they are making it so you can do less with the operating system then you used to be able to do. (unless you purchase the business class ones which are more expensive (rip off). This makes me a firm believer in that Windows XP Pro is their peak in operating systems manufactured to date.... and from there on its just a down hill slide. Windows Vista has more features I'll never use (like the media center) then actual features I'll wanna use.