Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am lost in Ubuntu 6.10

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok after a lot of hard work I got everything installed, but, when I run the Beryl Manager mt computer freezes with mouse still functional. What gives?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
good job!

as for your problem, what are your system specs? beryl is pretty resource-intensive.

btw, does pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace make your computer un-freeze?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks for replying. Here are my specs:

Mobo: Asus P4P800 SE
Cpu: Pentium 4 2.66GHz (overclocked to 3.6 GHz)
Memory: Samsung PC3200 1GB 400 MHz (Not sure what its running at since overclocking)
Graphics: XFX Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT 512 MB
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster LIVE!
HD: 2 x Western Digital 80 GB (thats all I know about the hard drives, plus that they are IDE not SATA)
Other operating systems: Windows Vista Ultimate
Cooling: Custom Water Cooling (if its important)

By the away pressing ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE doesn't help at all. Yesterday I was stupid enough to even set Beryl to start automaticaly at startup and now I can't do anything since it freezes up right after logging in. And I'm pretty sure that my system can handle it cause my friend has a really old computer like a Sempron 1.7 GHz and it works for him. I haven't had time lately but I was gonna reset everything to normal in the BIOS and maybe that will help? Anyways I'm doing that tomorrow so please stop me if it's not gonna fix the problem.

Edited by SOORENA, 23 April 2007 - 05:25 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Okay, when you get to the login screen, goto sessions and choose "Failsafe GNOME" and log in. This starts GNOME (the GUI of Ubuntu) without letting any startup scripts run. From there, disable Beryl from running on startup, log out, then change sessions to "Default Session" and log back in.

That will fix your freezing on login problem, but I'm not sure why Beryl freezes your computer in the first place. Turning off all overclocking might help, as Beryl isn't completely stable to begin with. If that doesn't work, you may have configured it wrong, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Edited by stettybet0, 16 April 2007 - 05:44 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Umm I got to the login but it asks me for my username and password and there is nothing else I can do. There are no options. Are you sure that option is in UBUNTU 6.10? By the way, when I start up the computer right before the login it shows the NVIDIA logo, so I think I installed the drivers right.

Thanks for your help so far.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
sorry, I don't use the default login screen, so I gave you wrong directions.

Assuming you do use the default login screen, goto the bottom left-hand corner and click Options then Select Session...

Posted Image

and choose Failsafe GNOME and then log in. This starts GNOME (the GUI of Ubuntu) without letting any startup scripts run. From there, disable Beryl from running on startup, log out, then change sessions to Default Session and log back in.

That will fix your freezing on login problem, but I'm not sure why Beryl freezes your computer in the first place. Turning off all overclocking might help, as Beryl isn't completely stable to begin with. If that doesn't work, you may have configured it wrong, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Edited by stettybet0, 19 April 2007 - 01:13 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi, umm I tried that and it still freezes on me.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
when in that process does it freeze?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Oh sorry i didn't mention. When I log in I wait a little then it tells me I'm entering Failsafe and then I say ok, after that some screens pop up and all I have time to figure is the close button on them and then when the icons show up the whole thing freezes and I can't click on anything or use CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
okay, once you get to the login screen, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a console. Login. Then type:

rm ~/.config/autostart/beryl-manager.desktop

type

ls ~/.config/autostart

and verify that the file beryl-manager.desktop is no longer there.

then press Ctrl-Alt-F7 followed by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Then try to login normally. If all went well, your computer should no longer freeze.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks to all your help so far, I managed to remove it from the login in. So now the question is what do I do? How do I check if beryl is installed properly?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
sorry for the late reply.

Did you follow all instructions on the beryl website Exactly? Did you encounter any errors during any of the steps? If your answer for the first question is no, and/or the answer for the second question is yes, then it is likely that beryl has been set up incorrectly.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I honestly can't remember, is there a way to uninstall and reinstall it?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
go into synaptic package manager and uninstall beryl manager (and any other related beryl packages).

You can get to synaptic through System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager. It should be pretty self-explanatory on how to uninstall the packages. Just click on them, and choose the appropriate option.

To reinstall, go back to the beryl site and follow the installation directions.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
OK so as you said I removed it and reinstalled it and now it works fine and I get the desktop effects.
Although I still need you're help,

1) how do I change the wallpaper on top and bottom of the cube?,
2) how do I zoom out a little so that I can see the cube better?
3) what is a superkey and how do I use it/change it?
Thank you so much for your help so far.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 23 April 2007 - 05:20 PM.