Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to burn disks

• Please log in to reply

rock42

rock42

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Memorex DVD-ROM/CD-RW 52X32X52X/16X

Hola, I have had this drive for a while and have only burned things a few times. Every time i did i used MediaPlayer or the built it drag n' drop burner built into XP. Today I tried to burn and audio CD, I opened WMP and it said I had no burner. I then tried to open the blank disk from My computer and it said "D:// is not accessible Incorrect Function" normally it would come up with the to sectioned window so i could drag stuff on and burn, but i guess my PC is starting to hate me cause i abuse World of Warcraft. Thx for the help =)
O and i did try using CD burner XP pro 3 and Nero (free trial)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

XP does have a problem at times with optical drives especially dvd and cd-rw's. :whistling:

First of all, is the drive still recognized in BIOS? What about the control panel? Will it play a plain old audio cd?

If all else fails, you can try the following:

This is taken from the Microsoft website.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

The full article can be found HERE

Murray

rock42

rock42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes, the drive can play all audio CDs, game disks and dvd it just wont burn. And yes it is recognized, i tried reinstalling drivers and looking for others on the net.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I don't know if the type of CD has any effect on your PC but it sometimes does on mine. I can't burn with a particular brand of CD (Imation, I think it is). Same syptoms as you, but with other brands it works just fine.

rock42

rock42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks, but no sry i just tried that like 5mins before i read your post. sry

Also i would be VERY VERY sad if that was it cause im using Memorex brand CDs

i would laugh =)

Edited by rock42, 12 April 2007 - 09:12 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thanks, but no sry i just tried that like 5mins before i read your post. sry

Tried which suggestion?

Murray

rock42

rock42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The CD thing. I dont know how to check my BIOS to see if my drive registers in there, although im sure it does.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just watch your computer as it starts and it should tell you how to get to setup (BIOS) by pressing a certain key or combination of keys.

Murray

xcspiderweb

xcspiderweb

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I had the same exact problem and it turned out the Sony rootkit was preventing my burner from burning cds.