Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 browser crashing on Windows 98SE

• Please log in to reply

liquid_fixture

liquid_fixture

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been having a problem the past few weeks with Internet Explorer when I go to https secure sign-in pages (like yahoo-email, hotmail, etc.). When I go to one of the secure pages, frequently I'll get a message that says:

"Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"

App name: iexplore.exe
mod name: kernel32.dll

offset: 0000b9a6

exception info:
code: 0xc0000005
flags: 0x00000000

module 1: rsabase.dll
module 2: rsaenh.dll

a few of the other modules it lists in the window include:
schannel.dll
wintrust.dll
pngfilt.dll
imgutil.dll

This problem doesn't seem to occur on non-https internet pages (Internet Explorer seems to work fine opening non-https internet pages). Any idea as to what's wrong and how it can be fixed? I don't think it's a virus or trojan (i'm running nod32, boclean, have SAS free for on demand scanning, have spybot search and destroy. all scans have come up clean). Thanks for any and all help :whistling: .

Edited by liquid_fixture, 12 April 2007 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try adding all the https site to your Trusted Zone and see if this works.

Ron

liquid_fixture

liquid_fixture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Major Payne. Thanks for responding :whistling: . I tried adding all the https sites to my Trusted Zone as you suggested, but the problem is still continuing.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Open an ms-dos prompt window (Start/Run>) and type the following (one entry at a time), and press enter after each line. A message will appear stating that these have been registered successfully.

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Let me know if that works. Especially regsvr32 Urlmon.dll. Not sure if other files are available in Win 98SE. Have you got latest install of Java Virtual Machine? Do you have the same problem with another browser like Firefox?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 13 April 2007 - 03:50 PM.

liquid_fixture

liquid_fixture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi :whistling: . I did as you said and each of the dll's registered successfully. I then went to the java site and downloaded and installed the java virtual machine. After completing that, I then went back to the yahoo email sign-in page, and the problem happened again.

I then tried firefox as you suggested and it worked without any problems. I don't mind using firefox, but my mom's kind of partial to Internet Explorer. Could I trouble you for a few other things I could try that might get IE working happily? If not, that's ok. Thanks for all your help, either way :blink: .

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try registering the dlls in your first post, too. Might also reset to the Default settings in Internet Options under the Privacy and Advanced tabs. Close/open IE and see if it works. If not, try rebooting again and using IE. If this doesn't get it, I'll request help from other techs on here. Running out of ideas. :whistling:

Ron

bobbilc

bobbilc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Liquid fixture,

I am new here, but I have the same problem with Explorer 6. I am running 98 and it appears that this is going to continue to be a problem for us because the patch from windows update doesn't work. If you go into control panel and click into add/remove programs, there is an internet explorer service pack and tools. If you do not have it installed you can go to Windows Update to install it. Click add or remove programs and it will ask if you want to repair explorer or add a component. Say yes to repair. That may help to solve the problem, but it appears to be a temporary fix because it needs to be done on my computer every few days. I just repair it every time I get those error messages. I hope that might help you.

Bobbilc

liquid_fixture

liquid_fixture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again Major Payne for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Of the dll's the microsoft message window mentioned, I was able to successfully register this group:

browseui.dll

dxtmsft.dll

imgutil.dll

jscript.dll

mlang.dll
mshtml.dll
mydocs.dll
msi.dll

ole32.dll
oleaut32.dll

rpcrt4.dll
rsabase.dll
rsaenh.dll

schannel.dll
shdocvw.dll

urlmon.dll

wintrust.dll

This next group of dll's would display the message " '....dll' was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point may be exported, or a corrupt version of '....dll' may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it."

(note: '....dll' signifies the particular .dll I was trying to register at the time)

browselc.dll

crypt32.dll
comctl32.dll

gdi32.dll

imm32.dll

kernel32.dll

msls31.dll
mswsock.dll
msoss.dll
msvcrt.dll
msafd.dll

netapi32.dll
netbios.dll

rnr20.dll

shdoclc.dll
shfolder.dll
shell32.dll
shlwapi.dll

user32.dll

version.dll

wsock32.dll
ws2_32.dll
ws2help.dll
winmm.dll
wininet.dll

This last group of .dll's would display the message "LoadLibrary ("name of dll") failed. GetLast Error returns 0x00000485," when I'd go to register them.

advcpi32.dll

boclean.dll

msonsext.dll

I then reset to the Default settings in Internet Options under the Privacy and Advanced tabs, and then closed/reopened IE. Went back to yahoo email, and the browser displayed the message about it encountering a problem needing to close again :whistling: .

And thank you bobbilc for taking the time to register and offer your help, too (sorry to hear that you're having a similar problem). I had actually tried doing the repair explorer option a little earlier this week, but it didn't seem to do anything in this particular case. Thank you though, for taking the time to offer a suggestion. The more ideas that are offered, the better :blink: .

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Requesting some additional help on this through tech section. Hopefully, the more experience techs will have more ideas or a solution.

Ron

bobbilc

bobbilc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks again Major Payne for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Of the dll's the microsoft message window mentioned, I was able to successfully register this group:

browseui.dll

dxtmsft.dll

imgutil.dll

jscript.dll

mlang.dll
mshtml.dll
mydocs.dll
msi.dll

ole32.dll
oleaut32.dll

rpcrt4.dll
rsabase.dll
rsaenh.dll

schannel.dll
shdocvw.dll

urlmon.dll

wintrust.dll

This next group of dll's would display the message " '....dll' was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point may be exported, or a corrupt version of '....dll' may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it."

(note: '....dll' signifies the particular .dll I was trying to register at the time)

browselc.dll

crypt32.dll
comctl32.dll

gdi32.dll

imm32.dll

kernel32.dll

msls31.dll
mswsock.dll
msoss.dll
msvcrt.dll
msafd.dll

netapi32.dll
netbios.dll

rnr20.dll

shdoclc.dll
shfolder.dll
shell32.dll
shlwapi.dll

user32.dll

version.dll

wsock32.dll
ws2_32.dll
ws2help.dll
winmm.dll
wininet.dll

This last group of .dll's would display the message "LoadLibrary ("name of dll") failed. GetLast Error returns 0x00000485," when I'd go to register them.

advcpi32.dll

boclean.dll

msonsext.dll

I then reset to the Default settings in Internet Options under the Privacy and Advanced tabs, and then closed/reopened IE. Went back to yahoo email, and the browser displayed the message about it encountering a problem needing to close again :whistling: .

And thank you bobbilc for taking the time to register and offer your help, too (sorry to hear that you're having a similar problem). I had actually tried doing the repair explorer option a little earlier this week, but it didn't seem to do anything in this particular case. Thank you though, for taking the time to offer a suggestion. The more ideas that are offered, the better :blink: .

You are welcome, I actually had to redownload the IE6 from the microsoft and the tools to make it work. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Bobbilc