Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

videos crashing

• Please log in to reply

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
When I try to play a video
i get the splash screen then a error pops up saying " dsound.dll can not find the entry point and must shut down". I've replaced dsound and it works once or twice then it happens again. I have used media player classic, zoom player,vlc, alshow, etc and it does the same thing.
Does anybody have an idea what causes this or a fix?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello edhalfdead
Your DirectX seams to be missing some files or corrupt.

You can download a new DirectX Here

See if that fixes your problem.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
dsound.dll shows up in few locations in windows. If you have xp installation cd put in the cd drive then click start > run. Type sfc /scannow. A dialog box will show up with a coloured progression bar (or whatever it is called in English). Let the process run to the end. When it ends the dialog box just disappears. This process will fix missing or corrup dlls.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
tuxmaster, Thanks for the idea but it still does the same thing. The Skeptic, I'm trying yours next.

Edited by edhalfdead, 15 April 2007 - 09:29 PM.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
The Sceptic, Did the sfc \scannow but still have the same problem. Thanks for the idea. Any more suggestions from the knowledgeable folks here at geekstogo?
Thank You

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Sorry for the long wait between reply's

Next thing I would give a start with is reinstalling your video drivers.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Tuxmaster, sorry about the long delay. Our router crashed and my roommates daughter thought how great it would be to go wireless. Great for her, pain for me.
I transgress sorry again. Re-installed video driver, still same problem.
I even tried a couple of codec pacs, but they were only temp fixes :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download, update and run the following antimalware programs (links in my signature):
  • Spybot Search and Destroy
  • Ad-Aware SE
  • AVG Antispyware.
Run one after the other in safe mode. Follow by a scan with your antivirus, also in safe mode.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
The Skeptic,
I ran SSD, AASE, AVG, and my own antivirus (Computer Associates from Yahoo DSL) and found a couple of tracking cookies, but nothing else.
I was able to watch a couple of vids then it crashed again.
Now what would you suggest?

Thanks...ed

Edited by edhalfdead, 30 April 2007 - 11:02 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download and install dsound.dll again from this site.

Advertisements

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
The Skeptic,
I've installed the version of dsound.dll from dlldump.com and so far it seems ok. I will post again later today or tomorrow to say if it's still working or not.
Hopefully this will fix the problem.
Thank You...ed

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I hope too.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
The Skeptic,
O.K. it "kind of" worked. It seems now that I can watch a couple of clips and then windows pops up saying it has to close blah, blah, blah. But sometimes it doesn't and I can just open another file and keep viewing, or it closes after 1 or 2 more clips. I am using Media Player Classic, Zoom Player, and Crystal Player. All 3 of these are supposed to have their own set of codecs, but I think they all feed off of DirectShow from Microsoft. I am going to try disabling all Microsoft codecs and see what happens. I'll post back with my results.
Once again, Thank You...ed

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
The Skeptic,
I found that if you disable the Microsoft codecs then all .wmv files play with a black screen. I installed the latest DirectSound codecs with the latest Matroska splitter which is a DirectShow format library from Free-Codecs.com. It seemed to work for about a day,but then started crashing again. My latest bout is with shell32.dll having problems also.
I think the problem is with the reboot I had to do about a month ago. My laptop is from Ebay and it didn't have a XPPro disk. I borrowed one from my ex and used my product i.d. number that I got from Dell support. I'm not really sure where my ex got the disk though. She said she burned a backup for her machine and that is what she lent me. Or maybe my laptop is just getting old. It came from a corporate environment, complete with property tags and all kinds of floor, room, and desk numbers. No it's not stolen, one of the first things I did was to contact Dell to make sure it wasn't.

If you have any more suggestions or if you think I'm figuring correctly let me know.
Thank You...ed

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
PLease download Everest (link below). Run it on Computer > Sensoer. Run your antivirus for about 10 minutes and then report temperatures of the cpu, HD and motherboard.