Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long startup time even after reformat

• Please log in to reply

Teddi

Teddi

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
I thought I might see if someone could give me some advice in this forum. Approx a month ago, my system started booting up slowly. I found a program called YKRP.com and was told to delete it. The system recovered and ran well after that. Unfortunately, the problem began again a few weeks later. I finally reformatted the computer and all was well. For two days, then the system started taking 15 minutes to boot up again. Once operational, it runs fine and the internet connection is smooth. However, the start up time has me confused. I performed a scan disk, disc defrag and checked antivirus and spyware with AVG and Norton. (uninstalling one to try the other..) I did a check on Trend micro and nothing can be found. I did notice that the YKRP.com dos app was still there when I last reformatted, however. I'm unsure if that had anything to do with this. System restore no longer works and after reformatting, the time on the computer clock was wrong and the time zone map was not operational, as far as lighting up each zone. I'm not sure if that's important or not, but the more information the better?
Circuit City wants to charge a great deal of money to look at the computer and possibly wipe the drive and reformat it. As a single parent, I am really hoping to avoid this if I can, but if you recommend it as a final option, I will do so. Possibly this could be with the BIOS, I'm just not sure and for the first time in 11 years.. I have no clue of what to do.

Thank you for any help!!

Teddi

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How old is the PC

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There is little that can be found about YKRP.com and whenever I find something it's associated with trouble. My opinion is that you should post this topic in the malware forum eventhough you made numerous malware checks.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
You might try chkdsk.

http://www.deltatran....com/chkdsk.htm

And Advanced windows care. It's free.

http://www.majorgeek...Care_d4991.html

Teddi

Teddi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you, I will post about the ykrp.com in the malware forum. It is no longer there, but the boot time is still formidable. I hope that someone has an idea of what to do. I put off taking it to the shop for a day or so, but I have to do something soon, because I work in a hospital and need access to my mail from home, etc... I don't want to open it with the computer acting like this.

Thanks again! Teddi

PS: Computer is less than a year old, Sony Vaio windows xp media edition, 2.5 ghz 0.99 gb ram. Hope that helps!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I was thinking format, incorrect system clock, BIOS battery, but unlikely with a year old PC