Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help With Exceptions Tab Of Windows Firewall?

• Please log in to reply

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi,

In Control Panel-->Windows Firewall (which is turned off, as I use ZA free)-->Exceptions Tab:

When you click "Edit" to see what it is, they are listed as this:

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avginet.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe

1a. The AVG ones are listed in ZA Program Control, and they are marked as "?-Ask" across the board. I know that when I do AVG updates, ZA asks me for permission for it still. So even though those are checked in the Exceptions tab in Windows Firewall, they're not automatically running, etc., right? Since ZA is still asking me for permission when I update?

1b. Any reason to even keep these checked in the Exceptions tab? Any reason not too?

2a. I have no idea what the Earthlink thing is. My dial-up is Earthlink, but I've never installed any Earthlink software on my computer (or downloaded any) -- and when I go to C:\Program Files there is NO FOLDER called "Earthlink TotalAccess" (even if I unhide hidden folders). I even searched my C: drive and D: partition for TaskPanl.exe, and it does not come up. So why is it listed there? And checked on top of that? The file doesn't actually seem to be on my computer!

2b. Is it running this program on some other computer somehow?

2c. Should I uncheck this? Delete it even? (I have unchecked it as of now, and I have no internet connection issues.)

Note: I don't see it listed in ZA Program Control, Task Manager, nor either the Services or Startup tabs in msconfig.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you install Zone Alarm firewall it disables microsoft firewall and takes its place. When you remove Zone Alarm microsoft firewall is being re-enabled automatically. That means that the exceptions that are in microsoft are irrelevant and have no influence on ZA.

Every time a program connects to the internet for the first time ZA asks for permission. Check the box "remember ....." (I don't remember the exact wording) and Apply. If you do not do that ZA will ask for permission every time you start the program. Let ZA create the exception list and don't interfere unless you have special problems that you cannot solve like with local net etc.

Re. Earthlink Total Access use this link to lern what it is. If you don't need it remove it.

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

When you install Zone Alarm firewall it disables microsoft firewall and takes its place. When you remove Zone Alarm microsoft firewall is being re-enabled automatically. That means that the exceptions that are in microsoft are irrelevant and have no influence on ZA.

Every time a program connects to the internet for the first time ZA asks for permission. Check the box "remember ....." (I don't remember the exact wording) and Apply. If you do not do that ZA will ask for permission every time you start the program. Let ZA create the exception list and don't interfere unless you have special problems that you cannot solve like with local net etc.

Re. Earthlink Total Access use this link to lern what it is. If you don't need it remove it.

Thanks for the post! But I think you're missing the biggest issue of what I'm asking about. That .exe file for Earthlink Total Access is NOT ON MY COMPUTER as far as a search of my entire computer goes. It's listed in that Exceptions tab -- and when I select "edit" it shows this:

C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe

...however, there is NO EarthLink TotalAccess folder in C:\Program Files and according to the search of my hard drive, there is NO TaskPanl.exe file on my computer.

So why is it listed in the Exceptions tab at all in the Window Firewall?

Thanks!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The only explanation that I have is that it was installed at one time and removed latter. When this is done the exception remains in microsoft firewall.

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

The only explanation that I have is that it was installed at one time and removed latter. When this is done the exception remains in microsoft firewall.

So if that's the case, should I delete it from the Exceptions tab? Or is it good enough just having it unchecked?

Thanks!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It's enough to uncheck it.

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts