Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting my ME

• Please log in to reply

CathySue

CathySue

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have so many errors. Windows won't validate-more errors. When I click on the great updates here I get the "page can't display" message. Some sites flicker & flash. I can't fill in boxes on some internet sites. I have updated at Intel & Gateway sites with some errors.
Latest error message at startup envolves : HKCMD.exe- HCCUTILS.DLL
I don't mind starting over, I'm just worried where to start after I reformat.
Is it time to start over?

I should say that I think Gateway GoBack turned off my system restore, as I have no save points. The GoBack dates are also messed {?} up as I have been trying to upgrade drivers and things for months.

This is a great site!
Thanks

Edited by CathySue, 14 April 2007 - 09:36 PM.

Advertisements

EmperorWoodrow

EmperorWoodrow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
U can try using the ME startup disk..if U made one..incert disk and restart computer it should give u 4 choices chose #1..after the page loads press alt F, then X... after the dos promnt type in scan disk..if that checks ok exit back to dos promnt then type in SCANREG/RESTORE.
if that doesn't help then its copy all the stuff u want to keep and format and relaod ME time..
hope this helps......WOODY :whistling:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Windows ME and 98 support have been dropped by Microsoft. I haven't tried updating either of them but that may be your problem. In any case I've found a nice user friendly version of Linux that is geared toward people who are used to Windows. It's PCLinuxOS. You download the image, .iso, file and burn it to a CD and boot with it. It will run on your machine without affecting your current operating system so you can check it out beforehand. If you like it, it runs a little slow from the live CD, you can choose to install it.

CathySue

CathySue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I used the startup disk and got this message. Invalid FAT or FAT32 partition. It had a bunch of choices and even more warnings. I didn't run anything else. Unless there is an easy fix, I think I will just reformat. Thanks for all the help.

CathySue

CathySue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Flickering in ME

I reformatted and I think I have updated all drivers, DirectX and adapters. I still have the darn flickering on some sites. Full Tilt to name one. I have contacted them.....they said update my drivers.

Any thoughts on flickering? It is really annoying!

Thanks

Edited by CathySue, 23 April 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may be having a problem with the video adapter or something else like the voltages are low in the power supply, or the memory or hard drive. You can download memtest86 to a floppy and run it to test the memory and download hard drive diagnostics and run them. Sounds like it would be wise to do diagnostics before you waste too much effort.

CathySue

CathySue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to download memtest86 to a floppy, unzipped it and got an error message in DOS when I tried to run it. It said access denied to install file.
Thanks for the help. You are all so great! :whistling:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I tried to download memtest86 to a floppy, unzipped it and got an error message in DOS when I tried to run it. It said access denied to install file.
Thanks for the help. You are all so great! :whistling:

You have to boot from the the floppy and run it that way, I don't know how the version you downloaded is installed to the floppy, there are different ways of doing it.