Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 95? Not Booting onto Windows

• Please log in to reply

Computer_nerd

Computer_nerd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a friend who has a computer and asked me to help them with their Windows 95 Laptop. But when I tried to boot I figured it would've boot onto Windows 95, I've had a Windows 98 before that I used to use so I figured this would just boot up. But it didn't all I could access was the BIOs, so since the problem was orginally it's password being corrupted I decided to remove the battery from the motherboard. Which then when I restarted afterwards it came to the same normal system scan and then the screen went black but the computer is still on. So I went to shut down and it asked me whether I wanted it to or not and when I said no the screen was saying it needed a boot disk so I inserted said boot disk and it still didn't work. :whistling: The Bios is old it's a Opti Viper 557/558 I think it was version 7.2 or something like that. If you need more info just ask. Though I truly don't know anything about this kind of Bios or computer. I'm so used to 98 and XP and this thing didn't even boot. The friend says they don't need a boot disk normally so I don't understand it. =/ The copyright says 1987-1997 I don't know how must help that is but it's important that I get it fixed since they need something on it.

Advertisements

EmperorWoodrow

EmperorWoodrow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
think it might be the hard drive?..can U pull it and plug it in another computer as a slave?..
then see if its being seen in my computer..also download dianostics programs from the drive manufactorer and run that.. :whistling:

Computer_nerd

Computer_nerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
=/ I don't have another comp to plug it into. Or at least I don't think I do... :help: I don't think it would match with a regular comp's. And my Windows XP laptop I don't want to take apart to try and check. Erm... How would you plug it into another computer. :whistling: Sorry I'm really, unexperienced in some areas of computers. So please be patient. :blink:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since you said you have a laptop, the only way is an external USB case made specifically for the laptop drive..
If you have a desktop available, you can plug it in as a slave drive, but you would need an adapter for the laptop drive.
It is all possible.

And, it sounds like it lost the boot files. You should not need a boot disk under normal circumstances.

ADAPTER CABLE
HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE