Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU started overheating recently

• Please log in to reply

fani

fani

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I will give the basic config of and the approx data observed by me on my PC (not using it till the issue is resolved or somebody guides me).

Branded HP PC 3 years old running XP
Athlon XP 2100 MHz
1 GB RAM
2 HDD
2 optical drives
2 exhaust fans (including power supply fan)
1 CPU fan

Till recently the PC was running fine. I decided to clean up the insides of the PC since it had been almost a year since the last one. Dusted the insides, specifically the heat sink on the processor.

On restart, the obeserved temps jumped from 50 C (122 F) to 73 C (165 F) at idling.

Let the comp cool off for about 2 hrs and then restarted it. Temps immediately after boot up were at 165 F.

Used Speedfan, Motherboard Monitor and Everest for data. No conflict there.

Speedfan shows the following data -

Temp 1 - 36C
Temp 2 (CPU) - 73 C
Temp 3 (case) - 79 C
HDD1 - 29 C
HDD2 - 31 C

Fan speeds -

Fan 1 - 800 - 2300 rpm
Fan 2 - 2300 - 4400 rpm

All fans are running properly. Visually checked. Also changing the speeds using Speedfan results in change in noise level.

Even with the case open, the temps continue to remain high.

Can somebody help me with identifying and resolving the issue?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you booted into BIOS and checked the temps from there?

Murray

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
When you cleaned the CPU fan/heatsink did you unmount it?

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
When I had cleaned the CPU assembly, I just removed the fan and cleaned the heat sink of the accumulated dust. CPU / heat sink were not unmounted.

Today when I turned on the PC after more than 24 hrs of downtime, BIOS shoed temps of about 51C.

Speedfan is showing CPU temp of 42C but the CPU fan is running at 100% rpm and the chassis fan is running at 80%. Speedfan is set to automatically vary the fan speeds between 40% and those above mentioned respective limits when temps are greater than 40C.

Let me see if I can do some resource intensive activity after removing the automatic fan speed variation and report the variation in temps.

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Today morning, CPU Temps are back at 73C on start up. Nothing else except startup programs (basic protection and drivers) are running.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If those are idle temps don't run it till you fix the problem!
Since you have already cleaned the fan, my suggestion would be to reapply the thermal grease (to much will cause problems as will to little). If this doesn't solve your problems you'll be looking at buying a new CPU fan.
James

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Here is the latest update - http://www.geekstogo...ps-t160830.html

Just in case anybody is keeping tabs :whistling: