Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connections & IBM ThinkPads

• Please log in to reply

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello, my name is Mark, and I live in Montreal, Canada. I have been havig a great deal of difficulty connecting my IBM ThinkPad laptop computer to the Linksys wireless router that we have here at our house. No matter what I do, nothing seems to work for me. I have called Linksys before, and they suggested that I call IBM. IBM told me to download some kind of driver that would help the wireless connection, and once I installed it, nothing happened, and I was still unable to connect to the Internet. If it helps, the ThinkPad's wireless switch (accessible through hitting Fn + F5) is turned on. I should also mention that I have mananged to successfully connect to my school's VPN, in addiiton to having a successful home wireless connection before the computer had to be reset do to a system error. Now that it has been reset, the wireless conection does not work. Is there anyone out there who can help me to solve this problem? I would greatly appreciate some assistance, as I have tried every single trick in the book, with no success. Thank you for your concern.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Matsuto77 and welcome to G2G,

A few quick questions before we get started:

What is the model of your ibm thinkpad?

What operating system are you using?

You mentioned you are able to connect to your schools VPN (is the vpn running on your laptop at all times or do you have to manually start it up each time)?

Is the laptop in question owned by you and do you have administrator priveleges (just askin cause you have a vpn for school)?

you mentioned a system error that involved the pc being reset (are you referring to a system resotre, reformat and reload of windows, or something else...)?

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hello Matsuto77 and welcome to G2G,

A few quick questions before we get started:

What is the model of your ibm thinkpad?

What operating system are you using?

You mentioned you are able to connect to your schools VPN (is the vpn running on your laptop at all times or do you have to manually start it up each time)?

Is the laptop in question owned by you and do you have administrator priveleges (just askin cause you have a vpn for school)?

you mentioned a system error that involved the pc being reset (are you referring to a system resotre, reformat and reload of windows, or something else...)?

Hello, SpaceCowboy706, and thank you for the warm welcome. I'll go ahead and answer your questions now so that you can assist me with my problem.
1. Model # - I don't have the computer with me right now, but I'll provide you with it later on.
2. OS - Windows XP.
3. Due to the system error, I lost the VPN connection, but I can easily re-download it at school any time. When I did have it installed, it would launch at startup.
4. The computer is indeed owned by me now, but it once belonged to my dad's office. In fact, it was his old computer. I beleive that I may have admin. privileges on it, but I'm not quite sure.
5. The system error in question involved Windows XP switching from English to French for unknown reasons, and it would not switch back to English no matter what I did. Therefore, the IT guy at my dad's office had to reinstall Windows in English for me.
That's about all I can tell you for now. Also, I've found out that something called a network adapter is either missing, or wasn't instlaled on the laptop. I hope this information helps you to solve my problem.

Edited by Matsuto77, 17 April 2007 - 11:29 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
OK

go to START, and then RUN, and then type in: devmgmt.msc
Press the OK button and when the device manager opens verify that there are no RED X's or YELLOW !'s in the entire list
scroll down to network adapters and expand the category by clicking on the plus sign (if its a Minus sign then no need to click it)
Now just for the network adapters list, verify that there are no RED X's or YELLOW !'s
Post back all items listed in this list regardless of thier status.
Now look down further in the device manager window and verify that there are no entries for "network Controller", if there are let me know.
you can now close out the device manager

go to START, and then RUN, and then type in: ncpa.cpl
Press the OK button and when the network connections window opens copy back all items listed
(example.. mine are "local area connection 3 - Connected - Linksys LNE100tx fast ethernet adapter" and "Local Area Connection - disabled - Intel® PRO/100 VM Network")
Now you can close out the Network Connections window

go to START, and then RUN, and then type in: cmd :or you may have to type in: command :if you get an error on the first one type.
Press the OK button and when the command prompt (black) window opens type in: ipconfig /all :and then press enter
Copy back all the information it gives you.
You can now close out the command prompt window by typing: exit :and pressing enter.

go to START, and then RUN, and then type in: services.msc
Press the OK button and when the local services window opens scroll down to "Wireless Zero Configuration" and then double click on it
When the "Wireless Zero Configuration Properties" window opens verify that the Startup Type is set to "Automatic" and the "Start" button is greyed out and not clickable.
If the last conditions are not met, then do not change them, just post back and let me know. If the last conditions are met then continue on.
Click the "Ok" button which will take you back to the "Wireless Zero Configuration" window and you can now close it out as well.

Please follow all the steps above as directed and note any errors you encounter along the way, or steps that you are not able to complete.

PS.... do not type in the : : when entering the commands, these are just indicators of when to start typing and when top stop typing.