Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow running xp home

• Please log in to reply

suzan

suzan

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all, ive installed a new hard drive, ive reinstalled windows xp home and after all the updats, i have the same problen i had to begin with, the devise manager has no errors but it continues to be very slow to open anything, long pauses after i click on anything. and i had to uninstall internet on it because it froze up after downloading java runtime update, i uninstalled that as well. its a emachine. also i dont know if its important but the optimiser said the processer only supports 18 features, please help!!

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
what emachine is it exactly?

go here

http://support.gatew...r/default.shtml

post results on hardware and software found
and the summary too

Edited by cmpm, 15 April 2007 - 04:00 PM.

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I cant get online with the one tore up, internet freezes it, i have ashampoo installed on it and it tells me: microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 2 hardware: intel pentium 111 processor 799 MHz 128 mb of ram. mainboard intel corp whitney cr platform also says this is not used or active. intel® 82810 graphics contoller. bios date 07/13/20. i can get to any info needed i just cant get it to run online. and its still slow after uninstalling all the above mentioned stuff. thanks!

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the only software in the add and remove are what i put there and the updates. i installed ashampoo winoptimizer,, adware se personal and windows live one care. i downloaded java runtime update and thats when things went really wrong. error message keep poping up that this application can only be used with verizon wireless,, thats the only connection i have at the moment.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I'm no expert but I'd take everything out but an anti virus for protection.
AVG Antivirus from filehippo.com
Get CCleaner and SpywareBlaster and Spybot SD from filehippo.com.
After uninstalling all that stuff.
I'd take out ashampoo winoptimizer and windows live one care.

Run this too.

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

I have a little experience with old computers.
I have 5 of the p3's.

I took out most all my toolbar addons like google too.

I'd take out java till you get online good then use this one-

http://java.sun.com/getjava/

It's the most stable java I know of.

Going through the Malware section and doing those suggestions will help, but I'm just giving a little help.

Edited by cmpm, 15 April 2007 - 05:37 PM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Also if that adaware personal is the beta, it caused some problems on one of my old computers.
I'd take it out also.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
when you installed windows, is it a Ghost image or actual Windows xp cd.
Most likely a ghosting install.

Might consider starting over.
Getting more Ram-another 128meg before you can't find any.
And I hope you didn't pay for Windows Live One Care.
It's really not designed for these older computers.

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the man the 1 cd come from said it was the entire operating cd. its a friends computer so i only got the free 90 trial verision of live one care, i dont see how i can have any virus or any of that, those scans come up clean and i only went to microsoft with the fire wall on untill i got live one care downloaded, but will follow the above instructions thanks

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i dont know if it matters or not but the ad ware i downloaded on my hp laptop without opening and burn to disc to put on the emachine and when i installed windows the .net framework was not installed i found it when i put the cd back in to look thru it because i thought winxp should have more in it like microsoft works, calander, at least a few things like my laptop has. and even tho i had installed my verizon broadband on the emachine it took a little over 3 hours to download and install live one

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
dial up connection i reckon
hmm...suzan
How about taking it to verizon and asking their guys?

I hope someone knows more about that deal.

Repost your problem here too and tell them why you have java and verizon.
Like for telephone service? at home? or on the go?
Or what?

All the files at filehippo are free, no trial periods.

You could just close Live One and try to work on it.

Edited by cmpm, 16 April 2007 - 05:35 AM.

Advertisements

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i was using my verizon broadband connect card and the download should only have took 15 to 30 minutes. anyway, decided to start over, just now got done with a clean install, of course as soon as i got it done and tried to open the controll panel it was very slow. no updates no new nothing put in. devise manager says everything working good. beats me why it wont run. think it ready for junk and if it was mine thats where it would be..

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
needs more memory, that much is certain

now even on a clean install
there can be junk-especially an emachine try thos programs from file hippo now before installing anything else

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
have you run windows update?
do you have service pack 2 on yet?

keep running express for windows update
ignore tray update notifications while running windows update
it's telling you to install what you are already installing
after reboot
run update again till you get past service pack 2
then let it update itself
after having turned on auto update

run windows update in custom mode and see if it finds software and hardware to install

.net framework slows these old computers down
i hope you don't need them, if you don't don't install them

Edited by cmpm, 16 April 2007 - 06:54 AM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Seeing as that eMachine didn't come with XP on it and you aren't using a XP CD that came with the computer you may run into issues. First of all what CD did your friend give you? Is it for another OEM computer such as a Dell, HP/Compaq or etc.? Is it a regular Retail or OEM Home/Pro CD for any computer? What key did you figure to use to install this XP version? You can't use someone elses key. Without a proper key you will not be able to activate or update. 128MB of memory is definitely too little to adequately run XP.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Yes true Whiskeyman,

Nothing was said about activation though. If it needs activated then there is still 30 days.

But I figure it's a ghost from a different emachine model.

So some hardware that is not actually on the machine will need uninstalled.
And some hardware will need installed.