Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow running xp home

• Please log in to reply

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I have concerns about the legality of the XP copy.

Suzan, did you purchase Windows XP Home and do you have a Certificate of Authenticity for the copy you've installed?

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Yeah this is all we have on that-

the man the 1 cd come from said it was the entire operating cd

Was it given to you or did you buy it suzan?

What is the model of the emachine.

And does the XP Disk say e-machine on it or is it a burned copy on another disk?

A ghost for emachine has the entire xp operating system, but it also puts in hardware that may not be there.

For instance, my brother had to change his modem, and after reghosting it put in the modem we took out and didn't see the new one, so we had go through add new hardware in control panel, after uninstalling the modem that didn't actually exist on the machine.

Which is what Suzan is trying to access.

Edited by cmpm, 16 April 2007 - 08:58 AM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Is this the same eMachine?

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry948513

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry to take so long to answer, I work graveyard. no its not the ghost cd's that come with the emachine, I dont have those it was millinium edition anyway. I have one windowsxp home edition cd with the key and coa. the cd is genuine, holligram and all that, The local computer builder he bought it all from assured me it the entire op sys. I got tired of the blue screen last night so i reformatted again, I did notice in the bios the op sys listed was milinium edition and there is a key for that as well but we dont have the cd's. when i reinstalled last night it stared a new thing to go with the slowness, randomly rebooting with error id that leads to needing a hotfix from microsoft that i had installed the first time which didnt help... the devise manager lists everything as enabled and working but im thinking there is a hardware issue. my son has a even older emachine that we manage to keep running but this one seems to be unwilling. Thanks for any ideals.!!!

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes, sorry, didnt see the second page. yes same emachine and after reading thru all the post i made a point to make sure that it was a microsoft cd. And its not my emachine, it belongs to my mechanic. the model is emonster 800 and its been upgraded to xp and the friend paid 130.00 for the upgrade, windows see's the hard drive and all the other hardware and says its working fine.I actually activated and authenticated the first time i got it to run BEFORE the updates messed it up again. and it alredy had sys 2 on the install cd.