Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Booting Up

• Please log in to reply

woodchuck

woodchuck

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
After many attemps to boot up in safe mode I was finally able to do this. I started having the boot up issue about a 10 days ago. This is the third time I have booted in safe mode and each time it takes many more times trying to boot it up before success. I am afraid to turn the computer off at this point. Over the last month I have added a half dozen programs to help me build a web site, added a new printer, and added a second monitor. I have not backed up most of my files.

Things I have done so far: When in safe mode I ran Spybot search and destroy, and Adware Lava Soft SE Persoanl and Computer Associates virus scan and deleted what I found. But I still had the issue booting up after doing this. I have not tried a system restore. Other potentially helpful info: My computer does not beep at start up? Widows logo comes up like it is turning on then it goes to black screen with cursor blinking and the key board does not operate. It is hit or miss when trying to start in safe mode I push F8 and sometimes just hold down the key hoping that I get the timing right for loading up safe mode. A couple of times I got a black screen telling me my key board has failed, so I swaped out key boards but unknownif this has helped anything.

Anyhow, I do not know where to start and would appreciate help solving this one.

Thanks! :whistling:

Woodchuck

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Go to Start> Run and type chkdsk /r then press the <Enter> key. If this is a USB keyboard I would check the Cmos battery on the motherboard. If it is weak or dead replace it and reset the Bios. Make sure USB support is enabled. I would also check the power supply. If both the battery and power supply are good then I would suspect possible driver corruption (check Device Manager for errors). If no errors are found try selecting Last Known Good Configuration instead of Safe Mode from the boot menu. If none of this works I would suspect a failing processor or motherboard.

woodchuck

woodchuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I tried to run chkdsk/r and it comes back: The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run vecause the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the nexttime the system restarts? (Y/N).

I am not sure about a battery. I am working from a desk top computer and I did not think there were any batteries to replace? Once I am able to boot up the key board works fine. I think the significant thing here is the boot up issue. .

What's the next step?

woodchuck

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
When it asks Y/N type Y and reboot the computer for chkdsk to run.

Yes there is a battery on the motherboard. It will look like a shiny nickel. Mkae sure you trun off the computer and unplug it before trying to change the battery.

Replacing the Motherboard Battery

Edited by Whiskeyman, 16 April 2007 - 07:44 AM.

woodchuck

woodchuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I ran chkdsk /r ; it took about an hour to run its course. It said it had replaced a couple of bad cluster files in stage 4 and when complete it said the volume was clean? I also did a system restore prior to this and since then the booting up problem has not occurred again however it is an intermitten thing. I will check the link you provided for replacing the battery when I get time. I feel a little better about turning off the computer as I have backed up my important files to disk.

I very much appreciate the help. I have gotten very good assistance from you guys in the past and I am very impressed. Please let me know if there is anything else to check.