Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

169.*** ip adress?

• Please log in to reply

Ryan W

Ryan W

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So I just recently took my desktop from my dad's house which was running the internet directly from the modem into the computer, and then hooked it up to her wireless router while I was staying at her house.. The internet worked on all other computers in my mom's house but only worked on my computer for about 20 minutes and then shut down, while still running fine on the other 2 computers.

So tonight I took my desktop back to my house and I connected it back to the modem like it was right before I left.. All of the lights on the modem that are supposed to be on are on. My IP adress is starting with a 169.*** number with and without the cable plugin screwed into the back of the modem..

Anyone know how I can fix this? The customer support guy for my ISP told me to go into RUN prompt and type in cmd and then do the ipconfig and all that.. He then told me to try /renew or whatever it is and still no results..

PLEASE! Someone help me!!!

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
What do you mean by "no results"? What happened after you released and renewed? What does ipconfig show now?

Ryan W

Ryan W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The customer support guy never told me to release it, only to renew it and nothing happened - still couldn't access the internet.. He said that maybe when I tried to connect to the wireless router at the other house I might have unlocked something or enabled/disabled something internally that would affect my ethernet adapter?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
With everything hooked up as it should be, disconnect the modem from power and leave it for 10 seconds. Plug it back into power, and see if you have internet. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

With everything hooked up as it should be, disconnect the modem from power and leave it for 10 seconds. Plug it back into power, and see if you have internet.

as a clarification on this step...you'll want to have your PC powered off too...turn off the pc, then power off the modem for a minute....then turn the modem back on and let it get all the way started up (give it 5 minutes) then power the PC back on

Ryan W

Ryan W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried turning off the computer and then turning off the modem and all that, nothing happened..

So I tried to ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and I got this error message:
An error has occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Autoconfiguration IP Adress: 169.254.117.95
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Someone PLEASE help!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Did you try what I had said except with the computer on? If not, try it like that.

Make sure your computer is configured to get an IP address automatically before trying that. In order to check that, follow these directions:

Right-click on My Network Places and choose Properties. Now Right-click on the Local Area Connection and choose Properties.

Scroll down until you see Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and double-click on it. Click on the circle next to Obtain an IP address Automatically.

One last thing you can try if that didn't work is download this tool using a computer that can connect to the internet, and run it on yours.

If that doesn't work, there's not much else we can do here. You'll have to call your service provider to see what's up. Since no one was using the internet at your house for a while, no doubt they revoked your IP address. However, you should automatically lease a new one once you hook back up to their network...

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 April 2007 - 07:32 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Did you try what I had said except with the computer on? If not, try it like that.

Make sure your computer is configured to get an IP address automatically before trying that. In order to check that, follow these directions:

Right-click on My Network Places and choose Properties. Now Right-click on the Local Area Connection and choose Properties.

Scroll down until you see Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and double-click on it. Click on the circle next to Obtain an IP address Automatically.

One last thing you can try if that didn't work is download this tool using a computer that can connect to the internet, and run it on yours.

If that doesn't work, there's not much else we can do here. You'll have to call your service provider to see what's up. Since no one was using the internet at your house for a while, no doubt they revoked your IP address. However, you should automatically lease a new one once you hook back up to their network...

A good way to tell if theres a socket issue is to try an ftp to any anonymous ftp site, such as ftp.nero.com

An error such as FTP Socket Error:0 is a tell tale sign of a broken Winsock layer.

Ryan W

Ryan W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I haven't tried using the Winsock Fix or whatever it is yet, but someone on another board told me to try this..... Anyone know if it would work?

run > netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Can't hurt to try, but I think I think the "other tech" has the syntax of the command wrong. Doesn't work for me...

Perhaps he/she meant netsh interface reset all ?

Anyways, I've never used netsh before so I don't know its usefulness. If it doesn't help you out, try the Winsock Fix. Works beautifully most of the time.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Can't hurt to try, but I think I think the "other tech" has the syntax of the command wrong. Doesn't work for me...

Perhaps he/she meant netsh interface reset all ?

Anyways, I've never used netsh before so I don't know its usefulness. If it doesn't help you out, try the Winsock Fix. Works beautifully most of the time.

No, that first netsh command is the correct command, I've used that hundreds of times doing cust support for an ISP.

Any luck yet?