Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft allows bypass of Vista activation

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Microsoft has built into Vista a function that allows anyone to extend the operating system's activation deadline not just three times, but many times. The same one-line command that postpones Vista's activation deadline to 120 days can be used an indefinite number of times by first changing a Registry key from 0 to 1.

Removed link. Advertising on that page is inappropriate at best.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
While it can not be used an indefinite number of times, it should be a concern when buying Vista pre-installed on a system. It's possible to purchase a system that appears to have Vista installed, only to have it expire. Of most concern would be online sales, classified sales, or other cases where the seller can disappear. Always ask, and check for activation when buying a system. Beware of any that claim to have already been activated.

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I would like to take the time to apologize if there were any inappropriate advertisements on the site I linked to, as this is a family friendly forum.
I have my settings set so that the banner ads show the unable to connect info, so I don't see what is advertised. :whistling: