Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram is so slow!

• Please log in to reply

locke91114

locke91114

• Pip
  • 9 posts
About an hour ago i put a brand new 1gb stick of PC3200 184 pin DDR SDRAM

This ram is supposed to be perfectly compatible with my computer, it is the same as the 2 256mb sticks that were in the computer. After putting it in, my computer started up just fine, and when i right click on my computer and go to properties it displays the right amount of ram, (1.5gb) so i guess my computer recognizes it, but there is hardly any difference in my computers performance!!! I figured it would run ALOT faster because i tripled the ram.

Is there anyway i can get more out of my new ram? Was there anything i was supposed to do when i put it in - i just stuck it in there and turned the pc on.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ram will only do so much, its your computer that's slow not your ram by the way.
Anyways, it'll be clocked to lower speeds if you put it into a motherboard with another set of ram that clocked lower.
Also, Ram will only do so much. You could have 8GB of ram, but if you only have a 1GHz processor its not going to get you anywhere. If its registering right, then yes everything you did was correct, all the is with ram is to click it in and go.
James

locke91114

locke91114

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
how can i clock my new ram higher than the old ram? that would speed it up a bit, right?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What are your system specs?
What are you trying to do with your computer thats not up to speed? General operation?

There are two ways, overclocking (risk not worth the gain in your case) and the simpler one, to remove the older stick. When you place to sticks of ram together on one motherboard, the higher clocked ram automatically clocks itself down to the lower clocked ram.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 April 2007 - 09:18 PM.

locke91114

locke91114

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have a amd sempron 2.0 ghz, 1.5gb ram, and i was trying out some games (oblivion, HL2) HL2 works fine, but it did before i put the ram in anyways, but i was expecting to be able to play oblivion. It would work before and look fine an everything but it would run veryvery sloooooowwww, and still does, with no improvement.

So if the higher ram automatically adjusts itself to the lower ram when i put it in, what would happen if i took out the two 256 sticks, put just the 1gb stick in, and then put the 256 sticks in again. Would the 256 sticks then adjust to the 1gb stick's speed? Can they even do this? And when you say overclocking is a risk, what kind? Could it damage the hardware or something serious or just cause the computer to crash or what?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If overclocking is down improperly, it'll damage your parts, even if it's done correctly the lifetime of your components is reduced depending on how far you push your hardware. It's risky and I don't recommend it to anyone, it's a past time for some, but a person will no experience will have a very high chance of frying something.

Doesn't matter what order you put them in, it'll always adjuest to the lowest clocked ram.

By the looks of it, since you never mentioned a graphics card, you have intergraded. Oblivion puts even the highest end system into stress, unless you have a graphics card you'll have no chance of playing the game.

James

locke91114

locke91114

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
aww man. thanks for the help.