Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My boot screen is broken!

• Please log in to reply

Maleboe

Maleboe

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
My computer is giving me a boot screen with a broken image of a Emachines logo and then gives me some error message about virtual memory that is blue and goes by so fast I can't see much. My question is how do I fix the problem and what the heck is going on with my computer. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Live long and prosper,

Josh

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start

Right click My Computer

Click properties

Click advanced

Click settings for performance

Click advanced

Click change for virtual memory

Put the dot in system managed

Click set

Click OK

Reboot

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I can't even get into my actual login screen. Right now I'm on another computer with that hard drive in an external casing and running a virus scan on it. I seriously don't think it is a virus but better safe than sorry. It has done this before but usually it recovers itself somehow if I leave it alone for like 2 or 3 days. I was looking at the actual hard drive itself outside of the computer and it had something that was circular that was cracked on the out side and I am wondering if that might be what is wrong with it.

Edited by Maleboe, 17 April 2007 - 04:53 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have an XP CD

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Not the original boot cd. I have a recovery cd I got from emachines. But I lost that and just found it recently. But since it has been formatted and windows reninstalled on it by my brother I don't think it will work. I popped it in earlier and it loaded up and was ready to install and I thought well, I might want to back it up first so, I hooked it up externally to my dads computer and see if I could get my files. I can get access to the files on my hard drive. It just for some odd reason will not boot up when it's in mine.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Same if you choose safe mode?

Did it just start, no recent updates or software installs?

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
The times its done this is just when I move from place to place, which has been like 5 times in the past year. I only get the broken emachines and can't even get it into safe mode. It doesn't even go that far. Will the recovery cd work?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got access to the XP CD used for this install, and the product key for your PC (not the one which includes OEM in it)

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
no, all I have is the Recovery CD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you get the drive back in your PC, can you press the power button and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, load BIOS defaults, save the change and reboot

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok, will do

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok, now its running without a problem one. Thank you very much. Can you expain as to what might of happpened to it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Perhaps an installed programme disturbed the settings, or an uninstall

Hope it goes well now

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts