Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System crashes while re-install XP sp2

• Please log in to reply

sraj

sraj

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have Compaq Presario R3000 laptop. It started rebooting and was giving some errors, which were not visible. Because it would reboot quickly without stopping. This happened several times and stopped booting. I thought disk was bad so started to re-install XP sp2. It formatted the disk and started to load files, intermittently it would begin to show an error saying it cannot load file press esc to continue. This happened several times and finally it gave page_fault_in_nonpaged_area and stopped with blue screen. I tried re-install again same errors with different file names. After several re-tries the error message changed to irql_equal_to_or Less_than_zero and stopped with blue screen. I kept trying now it says bad_pool_header.
All this was happening re-install of windows xp sp2. The OSD CD is oem supplied. CD seems ok I tried to copy into another laptop, to check if cd was being read. It was. Ran the chkdsk for hard drive it is ok.
I am not sure what else to do. Is there anyone who had this problem and were able to overcome.
Appreciate if anyone can help.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Make sure you are not running on AC and not the battery,

Do you have a floppy drive? If so I would run the manufacturers hard drive utility to fully test the hard drive. You should be able to find the hard drive manufacture from the laptop manufacturers site.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

If the hard drive tests okay then do a low level format with the hard drive manufacturers utility.

Once that is done try to reinstall.

sraj

sraj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I did hardisk check thru bios it is ok. Hard disk is formatted. I do not have floppy drive. I tried install again it gives bad_header_memory and after some more tries it gave 'driver corrupted pool memory ...' I am not sure where the problem lies. Each time I try to load it says it cannot copy a file, each time it is a different file name.
Bios shows RAM as 384.System was bought with 512mb. What does RAM show complete memory - removable and non-removable?
Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate your help and time.
Thanks
Sraj

sraj

sraj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Upgraded RAM from 512 to 768. While installing it stops at 78% - 79% and says ' cannot copy file ... ' and each time it gives different error irql_not_equal_to_or_less, page_fault, etc. Before upgrade of RAM it used to stop at 35% - 48 % copying of files. And it doesnot stop at same file, each time it is different.
Not sure what is happenning.
Anyone has any idead how to get over this. Any help really appreciated.
Thnx.