Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The two highest annoyances on my PC.

• Please log in to reply

evildave567

evildave567

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not really sure if this has already been asked before and if I'm posting in the right place. First off, I like to create/edit random movies with Windows Movie Maker. And then suddenly (5 weeks ago to be precise) it started crashing. I could only get it to open for maybe 10 seconds before it crashes. I closed all non-essential programs down and tried again, but no luck. It doesn't even say why! It just says that "WMM encountered a problem and needs to close.." And when I click the "For more information about this error, click here dialog", this is what I get: "AppName: moviemk.exe AppVer: 2.0.3312.0 ModName: qedit.dll ModVer: 6.5.2600.2180 Offset: 0001b2af". Also, I noticed that while viewing content on sites like youtube, livevideo, and newgrounds, I get no audio! I love flash movies and funny videos but it's really unenjoyable when there is no sound. They load perfectly and everything but the sound doen't play! I posted both my problems at once because I noticed that they both happened at the same time, so I thought that maybe thay could be linked in some way? Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!.

Advertisements

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok I don't have much experience with wmm so no clue there but the problem with not sound with flash files I may be able to help with.

There are 2 things that really bother me in this world that are related to computers. Yahoo and Quicktime. I've always said from day one, anything related to each of those will create more problems then they are worth.

1.) Quicktime in this case sometimes can screw with other file types making them not quite work right. I'd recommend uninstalling it if you have it and installing the quicktime alternative version. This may help.

2.) Another problem could be your computer doesn't have the basic codecs used to play the audio of the flash file.

3.) What browser are you using? Some 64-bit browsers don't read flash files correctly cause they try to look for 32 bit data and get confused. I'm hoping you aren't using Netscape?

evildave567

evildave567

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I'm running IE 7 with Windows Xp Home Edition. Oh and I forgot to mention, my Windows also stopped playing that little jingle it plays when it starts up and shuts down. It also no longer plays those little beeps and what-nots and my AIM doens't play any sounds either. The only thing that does play audio is Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and WinAmp. Was this information helpful or not?

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
do me another favor and go to start>control panel>sounds and audio devices>sounds and see if there are sound effects set for the different windows actions. If there ARE sounds and it's not playing them, you probably have some pretty bad problems. If they arn't set, you probably just have some settings messed up somehow which is no big deal.

If the sound effects are there which I'm thinking they will be, switch off the sounds tab and go to the audio tab and tell me what the different fields say. If any are blank, that could be your problem too.

Edited by TotallyKonfuzed, 18 April 2007 - 04:24 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
This may seam like a silly question but is anything muted in volume control.

evildave567

evildave567

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, my volume is pumped all the way up. Nearly got in trouble haha. And all the sound thingys are set to their defaults and in the Audio tab, the only blank one is the MIDI playback field while the others are occupied by "Realtek AC97 Audio".

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Portable or desktop

evildave567

evildave567

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Desktop, of course. :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you try differnt speakers or headphones.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Yep, my volume is pumped all the way up. Nearly got in trouble haha. And all the sound thingys are set to their defaults and in the Audio tab, the only blank one is the MIDI playback field while the others are occupied by "Realtek AC97 Audio".

That might be your problem, do you have a drivers disk that came with your computer? Sounds like it's missing. You might also be able to go to the site of the maker of your computer and look in their drivers section for the correct one for you.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Take a look at this.

http://bucarotechelp...ts/98011751.asp

evildave567

evildave567

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I uninstalled my Realtek audio drivers and reinstalled them but still nada. I went to that website and followed the instructions and found out something new. That little Sound Recorder thingy cannot play the .wav files at all! I can't even push the play button because it isn't availible. The only button that is availible is the fast foward button. That is not a good sign, is it?

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
try this, go to a .wav file on your computer (any will do) and right click and press "record" which will open the sound effect in the sound recorder. THEN see if it will play.

evildave567

evildave567

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried but I can't find the "record" option. So, I just opened it in Winamp a it plays it OK but if I click and drag it into the Sound Recorder, it says that I have a application open that is playing audio but the problem is, I don't. I tried over and over and even shut down both Winamp and Frostwire, the only two that plays audio on my PC, but still it says the same thing...

evildave567

evildave567

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
One more thing I failed to notice. Flash based sites (I think) such as bionicle.com or lego.com no longer works. All I get is, well, a page with a couple of pictures but nothing clickable. Somethings gone wrong, huh?