Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help my wired network

• Please log in to reply

skip0ls

skip0ls

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, i have dsl connected from phone jack to the dsl box, to the router, to the computer. i have the router so that my kid brother can play x-box live whenever i'm on the computer. It works great and now seeing as im going off to college soon i decided to buy my laptop early to get used to it. It has centrino but there's no wireless close enough which is ok, i want to be able to hook it up to the router and connect through that, and get files from my desktop onto my laptop. to get x-box live to work i had to shut everything down, and connect the ethernet cable, thenturn everything back on and it worked. i tried that with the laptop but it didn't work. help me please

P.S. the gateway m320x laptop came with a cable which clicks into the router, but looks smaller than the other ethernet jacks

Advertisements

computergeek

computergeek

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok I'm pritty router/DSL savvy but I didnt really get what you said.
are you saying that the internet works for everything except your laptop?

skip0ls

skip0ls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i figured it out, now i just need another ethernet rj45 cable, cuz now i just have a phone cable

skip0ls

skip0ls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok i got my rj45 and my belkin 4 port router shows that i have my desktop and my laptop both connected. now i want to be able to take music files from my desktop to my laptop, so i set up a home or small office network and when i go on the laptop it only says i have the laptop on my MSHOME, and my desktop says that i cannot access MSHOME, so i don't think i set it up right. can someone help me.

i'm pretty computer literate, but i can't seem to figure this out and i've tried the network wizard, and i don't think i even did that right.
if someone could help me get this straight, i'd be very happy

computergeek

computergeek

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Make sure that if you have a firewall it is configured to work with a home network.