Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista won't boot

• Please log in to reply

edcarter10

edcarter10

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I installed a new seagate hard drive into my new hp computer and now it won't boot...all i get is a black screen with a blinking curser. I have unplugged the new hard drive and that has not helped. This is a brand new machine, never been hooked up to the internet.

When I go to system restore on the hp screen it takes me to the same blank blinking curser page

Advertisements

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
well im gunna try and help u here, ill be honest with im no computer whiz but i think this is what the problem is:
thing is every OS HAS to boot from somewhere, and when it does, it is always ur hard drive, so when u install a new hard drive, u have no OS on it. what u gotta do is put in a bootable windows cd and install a fresh copy of windows on ur hard drive from the bootable cd.

edit: of course i could be completely wrong :whistling:

Edited by shinakuma9, 25 April 2007 - 06:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi edcarter10...

I'm assuming you were installing the new hard drive as a storage drive in addition to the system drive. If this is the case, did you jumper the new drive as a slave? Most HDD's come from the manufacturer configured as a master. Look in the documentation and make sure it's jumpered as a slave.

UNLESS...you are running with SATA drives...that's a different story. Are you running with SATA or ATA (IDE)?

wannabe1