Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shimmering desktop and graphics

• Please log in to reply

sratell

sratell

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am experiencing a weird degradation of the desktop especially around letters and icons where it appears to shimmer or do the "marching ants" like a photoshop item selection. Browser windows also will breakdown and become mottled or grainy in certain areas like sliders, the URL address line, and text lines. When importing and drawing in, background images will appear at first look like gradients did 17 years ago with all kinds of tiny lines in patterns. This will re-draw and then look normal, but the grainy appearance of other elements will remain. I will also occasionally get a black screen for about 2-3 seconds and then back to normal, with the same grainy appearance in those areas remaining.

I am running Windows XP, SP2, all of my security updates are done, I have run with current updates AdAware, PcCillin 2007, SuperAntiSpyware, RemoveIt Pro, Registry Cleaner and they all seem to come up clean. A friend suggested I update the drivers for the NVIDIA graphics card and I did, but I get the same thing happening.

My feeling is there is something in there that is very elusive, but I am not that experienced at reading the HiJack this logs to know exactly what is what. Anyone have a similar experience? It's driving me crazy!

thx
scott

Advertisements