Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attaching a photocopier to a network

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Folks,

My company has two large Canon photocopiers which have a number of fancy features that require it to be connected to the network which is a standard TCP/IP Ethernet based network with a single Windows Server 2003R2. They quite happily attach to the network and take either an assigned or fixed IP address and, through their basic communications capability can ping the server.

They also have the capability to scan documents and e-mail them to people on the network, again this is on the same server and is Exchange 2003. We set them up there own e-mail accounts which we have quite happily tested from a PC and work fine. All the settings are spot on on the photocopiers, exactly as they would be for a PC, but it comes back with the message 'Check server' but gives no further information.

Hs anybody got any ideas why this should be and how we can resolve it? Many thanks.

Regards, Stu ...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you read the manual for these photocopiers? general connectivity is usually the same between different makes and models..but some of the fine points change depending on the printer/copier...

when exactly do you get the "check server" message?

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply but, oh yes, the manual has been studied - at least if not sufficiently by me then I hope by the Canon Technician who was here three hours with me whilst we tried to sort it out!
The error is displayed as it tried to e-mail the result to you - so you choose to scan and e-mail, it scans the document, you enter in the recipient e-mail address and click send, then you get the error.

Regards, Stu ...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you verified all the mail server settings in the copier? you generally have to make sure that it has a connection to your mail server and that all the user info is correct.

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks once again for your reply and we had verified those settings a number of times with no effect unfortunately. However I have found the answer thanks to a hint from the Canon technician.
The issue lies in the DNS tables on the server and by setting up a New Alias (CName) in the Forward Lookup Zones for the relevant domian, listing the copier name and its IP address it resolved the issue. No other changes were made to the copiers. Microsoft KB article Q870911 is the closest I could find to explaining the resolution, although not directly applicable it gave me enough of a hint to start on.
Hope that helps anyone else who has a similar problem in the future but thanks for the responses.

Regards, Stu ...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds good to me....guess it's my hint to never get a canon copier hehe i've got two savin printer/copiers and they are a snap to set up...took about 15 minutes for the last one that i got in....glad you got it fixed