Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Max Connections

• Please log in to reply

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Can you confirm what the XP default registry settings are for the following. I think it is either 6 or 10 decimal.

Max connections per server
Max connections per 1_0 server.

Also in the Opera browser these values can also be adjusted, but I am not sure why you would need

the two.

Currently: Max connections to server....8 default.
Max total connections ..... 20 default

Should they be kept the same ?

Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
These settings don't exist by default in Windows, you have to make them manually. By default they're both two.
Internet Explorer follows a protocol which is designed to limit the amount of traffic it sends to a server to stop it overloading. You can up the limit manually and it does help, but you do run the risk of flooding the server and knocking it over by opening too many connections. This is the same with any web browser if you alter the appropriate settings. 8 and 20 is a good compromise, but going much higher runs the risk of being classed as anti-social and you may run the risk of being banned from the server as well.

hary

hary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Well that is news to me, I didn't know they do not exist by default. So that must mean at

some time I have created them which i don't recall. Probably following some tweaking tip !

If it is safe I may as well leave them, although the settings of 16 decimal 10 hexadecimal

seem a little high, it isn't having any adverse effect that I know..