Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apple Ibook

• Please log in to reply

Saira

Saira

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi y'all,
Actually I don't know much about computers so need some suggestion. I am planning on buying an apple ibook. I searched for it on ebay and found some in good conditions. I don't know hat features to look for. Can someone please help me here? This is the description of the item:
Product Family:
iBook
Hard Drive Capacity:
30 GB

Processor Type:
PowerPC G4
Operating System:
Mac OS 10.3, Panther

Processor Speed:
1.2 GHz
Screen Size:
12 inches

Memory (RAM):
768 MB
Apple iBook Notebook 12" M9623LL/A (1.2 GHz PowerPC G4, 768MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive, Built-in AirPort Extreme)

Technical Details
1.2 GHz PowerPC G4 processor with 133 MHz Frontside Bus
768 MB DDR SDRAM expandable to 1.25 GB
30 GB ATA/100 hard drive; 8x DVD Read / 24x CD-R / 16x CD-RW / 24x CD Read
12.1 inch TFT XGA display;
AirPort Extreme built-in
Mac OS X version 10.4 Tiger, Classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD (5), GarageBand), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess and more

Product Description
Surf the Web, chat with friends, do homework, play games, even burn DVDs and CDs to create your own video or musical masterpiece. In your favorite café. At 2 a.m. The iBook G4 delivers today's digital lifestyle to your backpack.

With a fast PowerPC G4 processor running at accelerated speeds of 1.2 GHz, built-in wireless networking capability and up to 1.25 GB of memory, the iBook G4 introduces impressive performance and flexible mobility to everyday work and play. It's your go-anywhere digital solution.

Every iBook comes with Mac OS X Tiger, the latest release of the world’s most advanced operating system. Tiger boasts more than 200 new features, including Spotlight, the lightning-fast search tool that lets you find anything on your system as fast as you type, and Dashboard, the home to handy widgets that access timely information such as stock prices or weather. Tiger turns your iBook into a finely tuned instrument that lets you focus on the tasks at hand, whether you’re syncing tunes to your iPod, creating a family photo album with iPhoto or playing the latest 3-D games.

You Can Take It With You
Built-in wireless capability on every iBook G4 means you can work or play anywhere. Enabled with AirPort Extreme technology, the iBook can surf the Web in any Wi-Fi hot spot, from hotels to bookshops. With an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express Base Station in your room or office, you can get online from the comfort of your couch. The iBook also offers an incredible 6 hours of battery life. Thanks to the energy-saving features built in to the PowerPC processor, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics processor and Mac OS X Tiger, the iBook works as long as you do.

As the lightest all-in-one consumer notebook on the market, the 12.1-inch iBook G4 weighs in at a mere 4.9 pounds. Many textbooks weigh more than either one. The iBook G4 is thin, too--a svelte 1.35 inches, to be exact--making this impressive notebook small enough to fit in a backpack and light enough to carry around all day.

Rave-Worthy Performance
You can order your iBook with either a 1.2 GHz or 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine and 512K Level 2 Cache. To maximize its speed, Apple engineers pair the G4 processor with a fast 133 MHz system bus and 256 MB of onboard memory to accelerate calculations and make your applications scream. And you'll be glad to hear that you can boost memory capacity to a remarkable 1.25 GB, giving you room to run many applications at once.

All systems come well equipped. Roomy hard drives offer 30 GB of space. With iBook's slot-loading Combo Drives you can watch DVDs, play music CDs, and burn your own data and music CDs.

An Impressive Display
Both iBook models offer brilliant 1,024 x 768 pixel resolution--ideal for doing everything from working on spreadsheets to displaying your movies and digital pictures in millions of colors. What's more, the iBook display scales down beautifully, again with millions of colors, for special games and applications optimized for 800 x 600 or 640 x 480 pixels. And both come powered by an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32 MB of dedicated video memory and AGP 4x support for dazzling 3-D graphics that bring games to life.

Like to carry around a notebook that delivers exceptional power at an affordable price? Then pick up an iBook G4. With a fast PowerPC G4 processor running at speeds of 1.2 GHz, expanded memory capacity, advanced wireless networking capabilities, and the impressive stability provided by Mac OS X, iBook G4 brings truly impressive performance to everyday life.

Waiting for your reply

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok to tell you the truth from where it says Product Description and on after that is all a load of crap, you don't want to get deceived by that. That notebook will be very slow, no matter what the brand of the Processor is 1.2GHz is way too slow, unless its like a 8 core or something. Try finding something above 2.0 GHz. Also what will you be using this for?

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 19 April 2007 - 07:47 PM.

Saira

Saira

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will be using it to surf net and to do college work. I know the question I am about to ask is quite dumb, but I really don't have enough knowledge about computers. Is there anyway we can upgrade the processor speed? I mean if I get a good deal, then?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
ah, good ol' ebay advertising. this ibook is a few generations old, and some of the things in the description are just flat-out lies. Let me point out a few of my favorites:

Lie 1:

Operating System:
Mac OS 10.3, Panther
(then futher down...)
Every iBook comes with Mac OS X Tiger, the latest release of the world’s most advanced operating system.

The lie here should be obvious.

Lie 2:

As the lightest all-in-one consumer notebook on the market, the 12.1-inch iBook G4 weighs in at a mere 4.9 pounds.

Sony Vaio G1 weighing 1.89lbs.

Lie 3:

a fast 133 MHz system bus

I don't think they sell processors with less than a 800Mhz FSB nowadays.

Lie 4:

you can boost memory capacity to a remarkable 1.25 GB

There is nothing remarkable about 1.25GB. In fact, that's rather low.

Lie 5:

Roomy hard drives offer 30 GB of space.

30GB isn't roomy. 1TB (1000GB) is.

Lie 6:

An Impressive Display
Both iBook models offer brilliant 1,024 x 768 pixel resolution

I can't stand 1024x768 due to its "unbrilliance". Try at least 1600x1200.

Lie 7:

And both come powered by an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32 MB of dedicated video memory and AGP 4x support for dazzling 3-D graphics that bring games to life.

I could bring 3D games to life better than 32MB of video RAM could... not that it matters because...

Lie 8:

play games

Nope. Nope. Nope.

That's all I can find for now. I hope I've convinced you to look for another computer, preferably not on ebay!

Saira

Saira

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you a lot ... actually this seller has good history so I thought I would trust him. I already have one laptop, but the screen size is 15", it is good to watch movies and stuff, but kinda difficult to carry around. I thought if I got a good deal, I would buy it. But, now I am sure I am not. if I wanted to buy apple laptop, what should i look for in it?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The current Intel FSB should be 533MHz or 800Mhz at it's peak, remember we are talking about laptops, not desktops. These are mobile processors, they cut corners to make them more power efficiant.
I highly recommend you don't buy a laptop over Ebay, you don't know what condition it really is in, there are so many things that could go wrong. Shipping is a whole different story, if you do a bad packing job......lets just say it probably won't work.
There is no way of verifying things like, does the LCD panel work? Is the battery bad and need a replacement. And eveything else that could possibly go wrong. You should be able to get a laptop with no less then 80GB and I recommend no less then 512mb or ram, you really should have 1GB and no less though.
Can I ask you why you are choosing an apple, you pay 300$ more just to say you have an apple when compared to a Windows laptop with the same specs. Not to mention many programs used at your university won't work on them because of combatiability issues. Whats your price range? Once again, PLEASE don't buy your laptop over Ebay.....I beg you.

James

Saira

Saira

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah .. now I won't buy it on ebay :whistling: ... I wanted an apple laptop because I don't know I like it. but may be I am delaying it now. I will do a wide search on laptops and then buy it :blink: thanks for y'all 's reply. I really got to know a lot from it :help:

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I wouldn't buy any type of computer from eBay. Other items I would, but not a computer. A computer can be costly, but if you get one make sure you get it from a TRUSTED place, with it being brand new. Don't forget to get a warranty, they come in handy in the long run. If you get a computer, you mind as well sink in some money, to avoid having to upgrade A LOT in the future. Most of the users here at Geeks To Go, are advanced or experts in the computer world. (I am not, but I know enough)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Oh I forgot to say, how rude of me, Welcome to Geeks To Go!!!

One question, why an apple? I know as a matter of fact they are way over priced. Also you can install Mac on a PC and right now Windows laptops aren't that high priced. You can get a way better deal on them. By the way how much was that apple priced?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Oh I forgot to say, how rude of me, Welcome to Geeks To Go!!!

One question, why an apple? I know as a matter of fact they are way over priced. Also you can install Mac on a PC and right now Windows laptops aren't that high priced. You can get a way better deal on them. By the way how much was that apple priced?

Actually it's the opposite, it's PC on a Mac. It's called boot camp and it's also the most expensive alternative, but I guess it should be since you get the best of both worlds....
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well I installed a mac on a pc before using pear pc.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Well I installed a mac on a pc before using pear pc.

Yes but the only way to do this would have to be using a cracked version of the Apple OS as there are no versions or CD's out there to install a Mac onto a PC, in other words you would have had to downloaded a cracked version from somewhere. This is illegal and cannot be disscused here.
Now back on topic......
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 April 2007 - 10:39 PM.