Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't recognise video card

• Please log in to reply

beth.green

beth.green

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
--------------------------
Summary of Problem
--------------------------
I recently reinstalled Windows XP (Home) and can not get it to recognise my video card at all (Radeon 9200SE). I've tried installing drivers but it tells me to set up a standard VGA driver. I go to install the VGA driver (found here) for my motherboard (AOpen MX46-533 Max) and it says the vga device does not exist. Only noticable difference is a lagging scroll. Also can't change many monitor settings and obviously none of my games work.

------------------
Specifications
------------------
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
Board: AOpen 1246 9189U10061
System Model: AOpen MX46-533
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

My screen is an LG Flatron 775FT

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

---------------------
Error Messages
---------------------
When I start the computer I get two error messages related to this, one saying "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed." one saying "No ATI graphics driver is installed". I think the first is from a program I installed off the disc that came with my video card and the second is one I downloaded from the ATI website, Catalyst. The error messages are kind of obvious, if I could install the drivers I wouldn't have a problem in the first place, and I'm sure I only need one of these programs installed anyway. Just trying to provide as much information as possible.

----------------
Prior to This
----------------
The reason I reinstalled windows was because whenever I restarted my computer the screen would go in to what seemed to be standby mode (click off, light fades from yellow to orange). This would happen after the boot sequence, when it should have gone to the log in screen. I thought this might have been the video card but was told to try reinstalling and it hasn't happened since, but there's also no video card recognized, so i'm not sure if it's related.

----------------
Tried So Far
----------------
-Installing Radeon Drivers > Please set up standard VGA driver
-Download VGA Drivers > The VGA Device does not exist
-Install Monitor Drivers > In device manager, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) moved from other devices to display adapters, still with little yellow exclamation mark.
-Reseated and cleand graphics card > No change
-Plugged monitor into MB rather than graphics card > Stopped working
-Tried to install drivers by pointing to them in device manager > Started installing then monitor went to stand-by mode, had to restart

I don't have any problems with retrying any of this under proper guidance.

I've spent the last two weeks looking for how to fix this, I'd be so grateful if anyone can help me at all.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you put .net framework back on

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I definitely tried to. I don't remember if it had a problem or not... I've had so many.
Is there a way to check whether it was successful or not?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft Update will offer it, or you can click review updates

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I definitely tried to. I don't remember if it had a problem or not... I've had so many.
Is there a way to check whether it was successful or not?

Yes, I installed it. Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

Edit: I had already installed it, I didn't install it just then.

Edited by beth.green, 19 April 2007 - 05:43 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you installing the ATI software from the disc which came with the card or from a download

This is the most recent version according to ATI

Catalyst 6.11 Display Driver for Windows XP Professional/Home Edition

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

If you install from a download, save it to the hard drive then start the PC in safe mode

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have tried installing both from the download and the disc. I will try it in safe mode after I finish downloading these drivers for my motherboard which might help.

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Installing in safe mode made no difference.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager

Do you have display adapters, if yes, click the +

Are they listed as ATI, if yes, right click them, click update driver

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I said in the first post, it comes up as Video Controller (VGA Compatible) under display adapters. When I tried to update it I pointed it to the drivers on the disc and the screen went into stand-by type mode and i had to restart.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click whatever is in display adapters, click uninstall, confirm then reboot

Check device manager

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did as instructed, rebooted and the screen went back to stand-by mode after the log-in screen.
Restarted in safe mode and it came up under display adapters as Radeon 9200 etc, went to update drivers and windows said it couldn't find any better than the ones i already had installed.
Restarted again and the screen went to stand-by mode after log-in.
Restarted again, chose last known good configuration and was able to log in. A bubble popped up saying "new hardware detected, radeon 9200 etc" and then the screen went back to stand-by mode.

So I think we maybe kind of half-fixed it? Things always get worse before they get better. Oh, obviously I'm posting from a different computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the power button and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up, look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter to reboot

If it loads to the desktop, check device manager, if it has the Radeon for the display adapter, install from the download or the software CD

If it won't go to the desktop in normal mode, try the above with safe mode

beth.green

beth.green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
There were turbo defaults and I think auto, defaults. I reset to non-turbo (auto?) defaults. No luck starting windows normally, my keyboard stopped working and I had to go back to the bios and change it to enable usb keyboards but other than that it's still at the defaults.
In safe mode it said new hardware had been installed and I had to restart my computer, so I did that, back to safe mode. Then went to device manager and tried to install the drivers from the CD, it said there were no programs better suited for my hardware than what I already had installed.
I restarted and tried to start windows normally, it didn't work. Restarted again and went into last known good configuratin, once again it logged in and was normal until two bubbles popped up this time, along the lines of VGA device recognised followed by Radeon 9200 recognized. The screen then went back to stand-by mode.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it will boot to safe mode with networking, check device manager for the Radeon, if there, load the software CD, if it auto runs, see what it does

Or load the software CD, click start, my computer, right click the drive with the CD, click explore, double click ATI set up